rechambering 270 to...?

+1 for the 270 Win.
I put a 1:8 twist on mine to shoot the 165/170/175 class bullets as well. Went with the magnum taper from Hart. Doesn't shoot to the speeds as Feenix and some of the others on here but it is very accurate at range.

I just went through the same thing. I ended up going with the 6.5x284. So far I am pretty happy with it. But with only wanting a 24" thinner barrel you won't get the benefit of the 6.5x284. In this case I would go with the 280 or 280ai. In my experience the 6.5 do better with longer barrels. Just my opinion though.

I just went through the same thing. I ended up going with the 6.5x284. So far I am pretty happy with it. But with only wanting a 24" thinner barrel you won't get the benefit of the 6.5x284. In this case I would go with the 280 or 280ai. In my experience the 6.5 do better with longer barrels. Just my opinion though.
The .260 Rem was actually specifically designed and developed with short barrels in mind.

28 Nosler. It's not belted. :D

I was actually joking when I started typing the above. But on second thought, you might be able to down load to 280 speeds for the majority of your shooting.

On third thought, I would just ignore me. These types of questions always makes my mind go in 100 directions.

28 Nosler. It's not belted. :D...
It's not a bad idea.

30-06 based cartridges = no bolt change, no feed change.
280ai

284 Win based cartridges = no bolt change, minor feed change
6.5-284

Belted magnum base = bolt change, feed change
7rm
7STW

Magnums = bolt change, feed change
7mm SAUM
7mm WSM
28 Nosler
7mm RUM

Just a rechamber the 270AI will put the nosler 150 lrab at 3100 fps and the CUTTING EDGE 130s at 3250.

If you want to rebarrell then take a faster twist and go to 26+ inches and you won't be dissapointed!

I believe the same is true with the 6.5x55. I have a Carl Gustav 1894M Swedish mauser carbine with 18" barrel.
You may well be right.

Remember back though in the early days of Afghanistan and Iraq. Our troops were ill equipped to fight a door to door urban conflict because the .223 just sucks at penetrating things like doors, walls etc.

The .260, 6.5x47L, 6.8spc and other calibers were quickly developed to give them a little more punch out of an AR platform rifle and the .260 was also intended as a short to medium range sniper round for short barreled bolt guns.

Sadly, nothing breeds innovation like a country at war.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.