Rechamber to 264 win mag?

You for sure need to open the bolt face. Super easy job on a Tikka since the bolt handle comes off so simple. You will need the magnum magazine and probably a new bolt stop. Tikka made 260, 6.5 Creed and 6.5x55. Any of these will be able to be made into a 264 win mag using the factory barrel. If you are going to rebarrel just buy a magnum and put the new barrel on. These are nice little actions for the money. You can buy prefit barrels for them also.
Shep

You for sure need to open the bolt face. Super easy job on a Tikka since the bolt handle comes off so simple. You will need the magnum magazine and probably a new bolt stop. Tikka made 260, 6.5 Creed and 6.5x55. Any of these will be able to be made into a 264 win mag using the factory barrel. If you are going to rebarrel just buy a magnum and put the new barrel on. These are nice little actions for the money. You can buy prefit barrels for them also.
Shep

I think the cost either way would be similar. You would have a better rifle if you bought a magnum and put a prefit on it.
If you bought a 6.5 you would need the bolt opened up and a new magazine and bolt stop and then still reaming the factory barrel
If you bought a magnum it would only need to have original barrel pulled and new one screwed on. You might have to releive the stock for new barrel.
Shep

What caliber of .264 rifles can b rechambered to .264 Winchester magnum
Go to the Ammoguide "Rebarrel/Rechambering Guide" to get a comprehensive answer to this question. https://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aichamber.cgi?

One may have to subscribe to Ammoguide.com to use it, but the annual fee is less than the average cost of a box of 20 shells and well worth the investment!

Shep
Thanks

Are you hell bent on the 264? On a Tikka, I'd suggest a 6.5 short mag for efficiency and availability of quality components and dies. However on a true long action throated properly for heavies, 264wm is a beast!
No I've just aways had a hankering for one. Figured I may find a used rifle with a faster twist and get it rechambered to save money.

I think the cost either way would be similar. You would have a better rifle if you bought a magnum and put a prefit on it.
If you bought a 6.5 you would need the bolt opened up and a new magazine and bolt stop and then still reaming the factory barrel
If you bought a magnum it would only need to have original barrel pulled and new one screwed on. You might have to releive the stock for new barrel.
Shep
Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.