Rebarrel on a Model 70

MTNRaine

My friend has a older model 70 that he wants to rebarrel. Right now its chambered in 338 win mag. He would like something different when he rebarrels it. Any caliber choices you guys reccommend between 244 cal and 338 cal. that would fit on that action would be appreciated.

Thanx

Last edited:
It all depends on use. My personal favorite round for long ranges is the 300 Weatherby. Good bullet selection and a very versitile round capable of doing a lot of things when loaded properly.

Now I am also very found of the 7mm RUM. This round with a tight twist rate will allow for the use of heavier rounds like the 180 VLD Bergers and plenty of reach.

Are you going to want to utilize the magazine or do a single shot. When you say older Model 70 are we talking pre-64 with controled round feed or post 64 with push feed? That's a pretty wide caliber range with a ton of cartridges to choose from. Some more details on what your hunting style and ranges you plan on shooting would help. Are you looking to just replace the barrel or do other work to the gun too?

I would reccomend the 30-338 if he reloads (that is what I did with my old M70), or the 7m/m Rem. Mag. if he does not.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.