Rebarreling Dads Post 64 model 70

bdyal1972

Well dads post 64 vintage model 70 meeds a new barrel.

"Big boy" is a legend in our family and fed at least 30 families that I know of.... It was purchased after mom and da got married in 68 at Meier and Frank in portland Oregon when they closed their gun room at 50% off...

Rear sight has been wood screwed and " Hot glued" on since the 70s!! Swivel scope mounts and TWICE he shot a buck had scope gail twisted the scope aside and shot the doe the buck was chasing!!!

Anyway current barrel 22" 30-06

New barrel will be 26" or 28" Krieger? Cut rifled barrel plus a long small hole brake, rechecker stock by hand, strip sand, shellac, plastic coat, new soft butt pad, replace compass in stock that hasn't worked since 70s!! Get rifle ready for another 52 years and grandchildren and great grandchildten!

My question is this...

Has anyone played with long fast twist barrels in 30-06 ackley improved or 30 gibbs? Might even go 30 sherman...

I like 30 cal 200 grain bullets moving at least 2600 fps.

I was thinking of going 6.5ai or 280ai but decided Big Boy needs to stay 30cal...
Thanks for the advice on revamping an heirloom!

"Big boy" is a legend in our family and fed at least 30 families that I know of.... It was purchased after mom and da got married in 68 at Meier and Frank in portland Oregon when they closed their gun room at 50% off...

Rear sight has been wood screwed and " Hot glued" on since the 70s!! Swivel scope mounts and TWICE he shot a buck had scope gail twisted the scope aside and shot the doe the buck was chasing!!!

New barrel will be 26" or 28" Krieger? Cut rifled barrel plus a long small hole brake, rechecker stock by hand, strip sand, shellac, plastic coat, new soft butt pad, replace compass in stock that hasn't worked since 70s!! Get rifle ready for another 52 years and grandchildren and great grandchildten!

My question is this...

Has anyone played with long fast twist barrels in 30-06 ackley improved or 30 gibbs? Might even go 30 sherman...

I was thinking of going 6.5ai or 280ai but decided Big Boy needs to stay 30cal...
I think the Sherman with a 26 would be an awesome choice and should really carry the mail

I wouldn't go longer than 24". Why? Maybe even 22".

I also think you might look at a chromoly Shilen....Brownell's and MidwayUSA have them in stock. They are good barrels and will take a nice matching blue finish.

You might consider transferring the open sights over too.

300 Sherman or 30-06 AI are great, but 30-06 still gets the job done.

I would hand your rifle over to a good smith that can do what you want.

Recutting the current checkering and refinishing the stock with a nice rich oil finish would be pretty cool. Change out the pad for a nice red one. Maybe adjust the LOP for you.

The optic is probably tired. Maybe need a new optic and mount.

I really like a traditional hunting rifle done well. They can really be more huntable than so many of the tactical magical stuff. This rifle would be able to shoot. The idea that we all need SS cut rifled barrels from Kreiger, Bartlein, etc is crap.

Last edited:

My question is this...

Thats really cool to have a rifle with those kind of family ties!
The 300 Sherman I had would run a 200 grain Sierra at almost 3000' with a 28" Bartlein. I had a good load with a 190 that ran at 3050' with great accuracy. The A.I. is good but the Sherman is more of it. The Gibbs will get near Sherman velocity, but does not have nearly as good case design (short neck) Feel free to call if you want to chat. 208 755-6723
I have everything in stock if you want to build one. You just need your favorite 270/280 brass.

I've been thinking along the same lines for one of my late father's 1903A3 30-06. Thinking a 22" 338-06AI.

Lol my brother and I were discussing the merits of 338-06AI!!!

I think the 338 win mag with a barnes 225x is the best "all around" ever made.

338-06AI with good 210 bullet would be at least 80% as much to 300 yards...

With less weight and less kick!

30 sherman with 190s or 200s sure is attractive and a heck of a lot more gun than the 06 with 150 core locks dad bought at bi mart on the discount row each march!!!

This was the first real rifle I ever shot, it was a sunday drive in the 76 scout in 1977, I was 5, dad put a cardboard box a 100 +/- steps away, put 3 holes in a quarter or so, on walk back to his hunting jacket he asked me if I wanted to shoot big boy! The first of many steps to manhood, so excited almost peed my pants, scared to death to pull trigger! Complete adrenaline rush, would have had scope cut but hit my glasses crunched my nose! 1 shot was enough! 2" high almost center, Dad was proud, I was beaming...

Love this rifle..

Figure I have seen it kill 15 times twice under 20 feet in the rain!

Brought home a blacktail buck 14 years straight on public ground in southwest oregon....

Cant wait to finish it...

Maybe an Alabama whitetail or Kansas mulie needs to be added to big boys talley.

I've had a few different .06 in the last 35 years. I did a deep dive on AI and decided the total cost of ownership, including mucking up an heirloom's market value, was not worth the AI "benefits". So, I started handloading and can say unequivocally that .30-06 has no need for AI. Some owners like AI because its fun to play. IMO a high density carbon steel hammer forged 24" or 26" barrel and handloads will get you to your goal. If I was going to dress up the barrel, I would try to get a cold-forged rotary hammered barrel like on my Steyr. Its 23.6" and as barrels go, it is an eye-catching and comment provoking work of art that handles heat incredibly well and produces sub moa with bullets from 150 to 180 gr. I've never had anyone fail to ask about the barrel the first time they see it. Modern temp stable powders, magnum primers, and high BC bullets have breathed new life and incredible down range performance into what I believe to be the all around best cartridge ever developed. Then, you can pass on the handloading fetish to the grandkids too.

I believe every american should have a 30-06 in the stable. That being said, a 30 sherman is a good option if you want more power. The 30-06's we load shoot 190's around 2800fps with H4350 and a 24" barrel, just for reference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.