Pre 64 model 70 questions

GBA1776

Formerly 'Savageman69'
Hi I got a Pre 64 model 70 for some work i did on a truck,
It was modified by some custom gunsmith in 50's the Caliber Is .30 Smith Magnum (A .338/.416 necked down) I got a few hundred rounds loaded with the gun (all .338 cases) and the all the dies for reloading. Anyone heard of the .30 Smith Magnum?
it was originally a .30-06 according to the serial number 63### it was made in 1947 it has a 24" barrel on it, My question is It needs a new stock, the wood is cracked, does anyone have a replacement wood stock for it? Ive looked for a bell and carlson but every place says its out of stock, there are alot of aluminum bedded stocks for about $500 but I want to fix it and sell it, not dump a bunch into it.
Also what is the forearm stud for?
Mine is missing it also the action screw just in front of the trigger is missing, the forearm screw doesnt seem to do anything there is nothing for it to screw into Ive seen the replacement and it just comes with a flat piece of metal with a washer welded to it, alot like a U nut without the U can anyone help me?
Ive found a replacement action screw or I can Get the kit I dont want the kit if I dont need the forearm stud,
Also the Rifle was a little rough but After I cleaned it up the action is silky smooth and it already has scope bases on it, there is maybe 60% of the bluing and very very minor pitting from rust on the right side of the trigger gaurd and on the bolt handle. What do you think its worth? I know people go nuts for the pre 64 Model 70 actions Ive seen just the actions for around $650 So a complete rifle with a set of reloading dies maybe $1400? I saw someone posting about finding one of the .30 smith rifles still in the box with a $4000 price tag on it.

I don't know much about the 30 Smith Magnum. I believe it was a wildcat cartridge and was never offered by Winchester as a standard cartridge. I do own Pre 64 Winchesters. It sounds like your rifle that was originally a 30-06, was rebarreled for this wildcat caliber. I don't think it was rebarreled special order by the factory since it does not have a barrel lug The Pre-64's had a forearm screw that mounted to a lug on the factory barrels. Many replacement stocks do not provide for this since most people will eliminate this lug and float their replacement barrels. The Pre-64's had fully bedded barrels. The barrel lug/ screw was put there for extra security. This was discontinued post 64, right to this day. The screw in from of the trigger guard was not designed to be tightened down much. If overtightend, it could warp the action. It was primarily to secure the trigger guard. My guess would be that unless you want to replace or repair your stock, and use your rifle as is, it's value is in the action only, given it is unmodified and original. Depending on condition, the are usually priced in the $600 range. They are in high demand and make for an excellent platform to build a custom rifle.

Your right it was originally a .30-06 and was customized by a guy who lived here in Washington state I dont know much about him but he designed the .30 Smith Magnum cartridge and customized a handful of winchester 70's I got the rifle from his grandson It is #2 he has rifle #1.
The original stock has a crack starting from the front trigger gaurd screw to the rear screw running on the left side, then there is a horizontal crack running around the comb about the height of the top of the trigger gaurd, the stock has maybe 50-150rds left to give, I would like to replace the stock and the one screw and sell it, I have no Use for a strange wildcat round, and Id have to buy all the equipment exept the dies to reload. I figured the money was only in the action its silky smooth has a real nice trigger, its too bad its not still the .30-06 because i wouldnt be selling it

I would keep an eye on ebay for pre 64 stocks. You have to be patient to pick one up right though. You could sink a lot of bucks into a rifle nobody has much interest in because of the wildcat cartridge.

I would think any real interest you would have in the rifle would be for the action and I would probably part it out if it were me.

Individual pre 64 parts fetch pretty good prices.

Ive got two in 06', a 41 and a 46. Seems you can buy w whole rifle reasonably these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.