Rebarel 7mmRUM to what?

I had a 7 ultra in a Remington sendro. It would not stabilize the 180's. I went with a 300 WM. Very happy with the results.

Let's just say I went with a 7mm. Which would be better suited to shoot the 180 or 195's? The RUM or the nosler?

Good evening fellas. I am new to the forum and so far, I have gathered a lot of useful info. I am getting ready to rebarrel my Remington 700 LSS in a 7mm RUM, but I am having trouble deciding what caliber to go with. I currently have a 25-06 and a 6.5CM for medium game to 500-600yds. I would use the LSS for long range and elk. The stock is bedded and the factory trigger worked to a crisp 3lbs. I dont currently reload, but I am planning to in the near future. If you were in my shoes, what would you rebarrel to and why? Thanks!
Are you rebarreling because you shot out the barrel or because you don't like the caliber?

I think that 7mm RUM is a bada$$ long range elk caliber. You could rebarrel it in the same caliber with a 8" twist, especially if you will be getting into reloading anyway. The 28 nosler is a 7mm Rum with a flat bill and skinny jeans.

I would own a 28 Nosler, just not sure I would trade a 7mm Rum for one.

Let's just say I went with a 7mm. Which would be better suited to shoot the 180 or 195's? The RUM or the nosler?
If you go with the 7 Rum you're dooming yourself to very short throat life. Throat life will be better with the Nosler and the shorter case allows longer bullets without changing to a DBM.

The 300 Rum gives you everything you want and none of the baggage and would be a very simple conversion.

I converted my rem lss 7 Rum to a 28 Nosler.
Well, kind of, the only thing left is the action.
I had it throated for the 195s.
I had to have the action machined for a Wyatt mag (Coal is 3.740)

Attachments

• 20181127_091857.jpg
    20181127_091857.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Personally I would stick with a RUM caliber...if you've got a 7 stick with it

How heavy of a bullet do you think you need to use on deer and elk sized animals?
Do you feel that a 190 @3300 might be better than a 190 at less than 3000?
How about a 200 @3200 compared to a 180 @ 3000?
Would a 7mm with a 180@ 3000, be better than a 30 cal with a 180 even at the same speed?
And don't forget that at least 90% of all long range shots are under 1000 yds, with many of those under 600.
So where does that leave the BC advantage argument?
All these points indicate a 30 caliber as being the best choice, and a 10 twist would allow for even heavier bullets.
I'll tell you one thing for sure, if you hit bone, especially big bone with a 190 @ 33/3400, it is your animal.

If you reloaded I would have suggested 7 STW. Since you don't I would go 7 Rem mag or 300 Win Mag. There is not much choice for factory loaded 28 Nosler and even less choice in 7 RUM. Even if you relaod, the 7 RM and 300 Win are excellent LR cartridges with much better barrel life so you can actually do some practicing.

If you reloaded I would have suggested 7 STW. Since you don't I would go 7 Rem mag or 300 Win Mag. There is not much choice for factory loaded 28 Nosler and even less choice in 7 RUM. Even if you relaod, the 7 RM and 300 Win are excellent LR cartridges with much better barrel life so you can actually do some practicing.
Practice is for 308s, for hunting, get a hummer. lol

If this is purely a hunting rifle, a new barrel could last 10 years to a lifetime depending on how much you will shoot it.
A hot 28 Nosler is going to last you about 700-900 rounds. A hot 7RUM won't be much shorter.
A hot 28 Nosler will push a 195 Berger @ 3100-3200 with the right throat cut. A 7RUM will up this to 3250ish when pushed. They will both flatten a deer well past where 99.5% of people can accurately hunt. Elk out to 1400ish, AS LONG AS THE HUNTER CAN HIT WHERE THEY NEED TO EVERY TIME.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.