Realistic AR distance for 'yotes

TBuckus

I'm just getting into hunting yotes. So far I've been carrying a shotgun and my hunting partner would have a rifle.

So, I'm in the process of building an AR specifically for predators. I'm thinking of using a 20" barrel over a 24" to keep the weight down.
Without getting into discussions over barrel/ component quality, etc. what distance is realistic for hunting coyotes with an AR? 1MOA? 2MOA?

My gas gun holds a little better than MOA @ 300 yards.

Have hold overs w/mil dot scope tested to 350 yards. I'm figger'n 350 is about 50 yards too far for me but I'd probably take the shot anyway.

With a good rest, and the right bullet choice, 450 yards is doable but it really depends on the wind and how much target you have.... (Head sticking over some brush... Or a nice broadside). I've found some nice cheap accurate ammo for my dpms sweet 16 and it consistently shoots .3x MOA. With this ammo, I'm confident on full bodied shoots out to 450. With remington umc... About 375, both provided the wind is consistent and not gusting...and I have a stable rest.

Off of sticks, or my brothers back... 275-300 is the most I'll go.

Bullet opens nicely and doesn't pass through at distance... So shot placement is key. Tracking is difficult if you don't place your shot well and put them down with the first round.

I have a 20" barrel on my RRA Predator Pursuit upper. It shoots 1/2 moa on paper out to 200 yards (I haven't tested any farther than that). I blast P-dogs out to 350+ from a nice solid shooting table. This weight barrel is about the limit of what I would want in a carry rig.

You probably don't want a "varmint" barrel, as they are very heavy to carry around.

Those are the distances I was hoping for.
I'm looking at the Olympic Arms ultramatch bull barrel. It's a bit heavy though.

Yeah... The Bulls are my favorite too... But they do get heavy when trekking into or out of a deep stand. This is why I opted for the sweet 16. However, it still feels heavy sometimes after a long day out! I love it too much to ever think of taking out another AR though :D

Took this Wiley this last weekend, but it was only 110 yards away... However, it was a night shot with night vision, so sometimes, distance is tough to tell.

gun)

image.jpg

Are you limiting yourself to .223? If your building a rifle look at the 6.5 Grendel and extend that killing range to 1k....:)

I used a 20" barreled ar for a few years and was never really happy with performance. I used 55 gr noslers at 2980 fps and my best group was 5 shots touching at 200. All my coyotes were behind the shoulder and did the death spin but I always wanted more I guess. One of my shooting Buddy's uses his ar a bunch and really likes the 40 gr zombiemax bullets from hornady out to 250 yards but goes to 69gr smk over that. Farthest kill with the 69gr was about 650 last year which is really pushing it. Anyhow, just our experience. I will say the .260 has performed much better and tends to be what goes to the stand if we're calling. Mines a bolt gun his is an AR10.

Took this guy with 3 shots this year at 460 yds. using a 223 AI AR/53 V-Max. Had a pretty good feeling the 1st shot might not anchor him, and I knew they wouldn't exit so I shot 2 more times all hits and he finally lay still. Didn't want to take the chance of losing that fur--

I've killed very well with a thoroughly tested system to 500, but that's close to the end of it with that case, IMO, though admittedly my 9T barrel won't shoot the 75 A-Max accurately. That bullet may net you more...?

Check out some of the cartridges they're using at 6mm AR Home Page

For me living in southern Tx, 300 yard plus shots happen uhm, NEVER. Plus part of the fun is calling them in close to my crossbow range.

That being said, if I lived some place like N/S Dakota, eastern Colorado etc. where long range shots could be the norm then it would be possible. But then I seriously need to rethink my system and step up too at least a 243/308/7mm if I want to reach out to 1000+ yards. Check out Dartman76 on YouTube. Impressive and entertaining. IMHO

Awesome badger BTW

Those are the distances I was hoping for.
I'm looking at the Olympic Arms ultramatch bull barrel. It's a bit heavy though.

Hello TBuckus ,
I have an Olympic Arms UltraMatch AR-15 , in .223 , with a 20" , 1 - 8" twist ,bull-barrel 1"muzzle diameter , fluted beneath the forend hand-guard ,with 4 groove , broach-cut rifling , L H twist, that is the most accurate rifle that I have ever shot . The rifle weight is 8# and 4 oz. without scope .
The last time that I shot this rifle was Jan.,2013 , when I removed my target scope and re-mounted my Leupold 2.5 x 8 Vari-X III hunting scope onto the rifle . I re-zeroed at 200 yards and when I impacted at 1" right of center , I fired the remaining 5 shots from my magazine into the target making a 6 shot group that measured .132" c - c , at 200 yards.
6 shots into a group less than one-fourth the size of a dime . Witnessed by my life-long friend , who was who was spotting shots for me through the spotting scope .
I will try to locate a photo of this target to post , but it can be seen on the OA2.org website , under the topic of " Accuracy of OA UltraMatch AR-15 ".
I was shooting Nosler 55 gr.BT bullets , Win. brass , Win. Small rifle primers , and Varget powder .
You will be pleased with the Olympic Arms UltraMatch if you buy it .
DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.