.223 round for yotes

Beagler

Ok, I'm thinking about switchin over from my 22-250 to my .223 for huntin yotes. I've shot a few yotes at 50yds or less with my Ruger Ranch, but I'd like to reach out beyond the 100yd mark and see what I can do with this gun.

I've been using the Winchester ballistic supreme silver tips in my 22-250 and was just assuming this would be a good place to start with my .223, But...has anyone had any good/bad experience with .223 ammo that's less $$ than the Win Supremes?

I'm gonna use the Ruger Ranch and will be looking at shots no more than 175-200yds. The area I'm huntin has lots of brush with some open shots.

Thanks!

with the ruger ranch you should have no problem up to 200 yards with factory ammo. Try a load around 60-65grn sp and you should be able to extend that to 300

If you are shooting out to 200 I've had extremely good luck with American Eagle 50 Varmint tips out of both my savage hog Hunter and dpms sweet 16. It will do .3x consistently @ 100 out of both rifles which was a bit of a shocker, because the Remington's like the dpms better by about .4x difference between the 2 guns. My brothers bushmaster varminter likes the remington 50gr hp... Shooting .5x consistently @ 100.

I'd buy a box of both and give them a shot out of your rifle. You'll only know if you try, but we are both pleased. Either will put mutts in the DRT, and neither is terribly expensive. The American Eagles are downright cheap.

My dad and I have good luck with the 45gr hollow point 130yd or so was my longest shot with them but, at 40yd or so they haven't exited. I shoot the 53gr v-max through my ar-15 and they're great no exits yet.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. It's good to know I can have some cheaper options to work with on my .223.

We we're out yesterday from daylight till about noon. After 5 sets and about 5mi of humpin the brush, we came up with zero....

We hit all our bread & butter spots that have always produced in the past, but no takers this time.

Oh well...at least I burned a few calories....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.