Realistic AR distance for 'yotes

Hello TBuckus ,
I have an Olympic Arms UltraMatch AR-15 , in .223 , with a 20" , 1 - 8" twist ,bull-barrel 1"muzzle diameter , fluted beneath the forend hand-guard ,with 4 groove , broach-cut rifling , L H twist, that is the most accurate rifle that I have ever shot . The rifle weight is 8# and 4 oz. without scope .
The last time that I shot this rifle was Jan.,2013 , when I removed my target scope and re-mounted my Leupold 2.5 x 8 Vari-X III hunting scope onto the rifle . I re-zeroed at 200 yards and when I impacted at 1" right of center , I fired the remaining 5 shots from my magazine into the target making a 6 shot group that measured .132" c - c , at 200 yards.
6 shots into a group less than one-fourth the size of a dime . Witnessed by my life-long friend , who was who was spotting shots for me through the spotting scope .
I will try to locate a photo of this target to post , but it can be seen on the OA2.org website , under the topic of " Accuracy of OA UltraMatch AR-15 ".
I was shooting Nosler 55 gr.BT bullets , Win. brass , Win. Small rifle primers , and Varget powder .
You will be pleased with the Olympic Arms UltraMatch if you buy it .
DMP25-06

Good to know. I know I'll have to do my part, but practicing is a hoot for me.
I've also been looking at the WOA barrels. Nothing but good comments about them.

SSCOYOTE,
What length is your AI? Looks like a 26" barrel if the handguard is rifle length.

After reading this more I failed too really address the OP. My own set up is great out to about 400 yards on hogs and yotes when I would need as I have shot at the range and know what dope I need. I am comfortable my 50gr vmax will do the job out to that range with it's accuracy I demand and the energy need with well placed shots. http://]

Yes sir it is 26". The introduction of the new Sierra Tipped Matchkings might help with good terminal performance at longer ranges as well. We'll see as I have 500 69ers heading my way now (.375 BC)

If I had to pick 2 bullets that gave me the best OAL performance at long-range out of the AR it would be the 65 SGK and the 53 VMax, though I never tried the 77/75's.

The most accurate bullet that gun ever shot at distance is the 65 JLK Low Drag, but it was a downright tragedy that I couldn't get the best terminal effect at longer ranges out of it's .4 BC profile, and it required a reworked VLD magazine to get it set up properly.

The big question mark at long-range is the ever-unpopular windage cliché. That's why I shoot as high a BC bullet as I can find that still delivers good terminal effect as far out as possible...of course.

That being said, if I lived some place like N/S Dakota, eastern Colorado etc. where long range shots could be the norm then it would be possible. But then I seriously need to rethink my system and step up too at least a 243/308/7mm if I want to reach out to 1000+ yards.

I agree 100%. My truck & calling gun is a R25 243. I just had a 6x47 Lapua built for the longer shots.

That being said, if I lived some place like N/S Dakota, eastern Colorado etc. where long range shots could be the norm then it would be possible. But then I seriously need to rethink my system and step up too at least a 243/308/7mm if I want to reach out to 1000+ yards.

I agree 100%. My truck & calling gun is a R25 243. I just had a 6x47 Lapua built for the longer shots.

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to see the value of this statement. I would love to have the ability to reach out to some very long shots(800-1400 yards) 223 is maxed out at 400-600 yards. Wide open and long shots present multiple issue not the least of which is multiple wind dope and need of the highest BC you can find.

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to see the value of this statement. I would love to have the ability to reach out to some very long shots(800-1400 yards) 223 is maxed out at 400-600 yards. Wide open and long shots present multiple issue not the least of which is multiple wind dope and need of the highest BC you can find.

I usually have my 300 Jazz in the truck just in case I catch one napping on the side of a hill a 1000 yards off the road. Unfortinatly, I haven't had the opportunity to test the 215 Berger on a dog yet. Got one this AM with the R25 out the window trotting at 275 ( completely legal in ND).

I usually have my 300 Jazz in the truck just in case I catch one napping on the side of a hill a 1000 yards off the road. Unfortinatly, I haven't had the opportunity to test the 215 Berger on a dog yet. Got one this AM with the R25 out the window trotting at 275 ( completely legal in ND).

And quite fun also. If not a lightly bit colder there then the Houston area right now!!!

Hello TBuckus ,
I have an Olympic Arms UltraMatch AR-15 , in .223 , with a 20" , 1 - 8" twist ,bull-barrel 1"muzzle diameter , fluted beneath the forend hand-guard ,with 4 groove , broach-cut rifling , L H twist, that is the most accurate rifle that I have ever shot . The rifle weight is 8# and 4 oz. without scope .
The last time that I shot this rifle was Jan.,2013 , when I removed my target scope and re-mounted my Leupold 2.5 x 8 Vari-X III hunting scope onto the rifle . I re-zeroed at 200 yards and when I impacted at 1" right of center , I fired the remaining 5 shots from my magazine into the target making a 6 shot group that measured .132" c - c , at 200 yards.
6 shots into a group less than one-fourth the size of a dime . Witnessed by my life-long friend , who was who was spotting shots for me through the spotting scope .
I will try to locate a photo of this target to post , but it can be seen on the OA2.org website , under the topic of " Accuracy of OA UltraMatch AR-15 ".
I was shooting Nosler 55 gr.BT bullets , Win. brass , Win. Small rifle primers , and Varget powder .
You will be pleased with the Olympic Arms UltraMatch if you buy it .
DMP25-06

I finally located the pictures of my target , 6 shots into a group smaller than a dime , at 200 yards .
I hope that photos are attached .
DMP25-06

Attachments

• AR-15---200 YD. group 018.jpg
    AR-15---200 YD. group 018.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 97
  • AR-15---200 YD. group 021.jpg
    AR-15---200 YD. group 021.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 99
Haha, what is this, 'Mediumrangehunting.com'? Only 300 - 450 yards with an AR-15 :) ?

Try 700, 800, or even 1000 with the right system. I've killed prairie dogs out to 975 with my 223 AR-15 upper. 24" LotharWalther barrel, 1:7.7 twist. 75gr Hornady match bullets. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot at coyotes that far either, but usually manage to call them in much closer.

Furthest AR-15 coyote to date was 749 yards with my 6mmAR upper. 25" Krieger barrel, 87 gr VMax at 3000 fps.

My AR is a 20 inch RRA predator pursuite. My strong dog medicine is a 75 grain BTHP over a stiff load of AA2520 in a Lake city case. At the three hundred yard line, I'm fully confident in both my shooting skill and the rounds balistic ablity to get it done. These SoCal coyotes don't like that round, because it puts them down hard.

Haha, what is this, 'Mediumrangehunting.com'? Only 300 - 450 yards with an AR-15 :) ?

Try 700, 800, or even 1000 with the right system. I've killed prairie dogs out to 975 with my 223 AR-15 upper. 24" LotharWalther barrel, 1:7.7 twist. 75gr Hornady match bullets. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot at coyotes that far either, but usually manage to call them in much closer.

Furthest AR-15 coyote to date was 749 yards with my 6mmAR upper. 25" Krieger barrel, 87 gr VMax at 3000 fps.

Haha haha 300-450 yards is considered short range hunting fyi.

At 975 yds the energy would be questionable out of your 75 grainer 223 for song dogs. There a little tougher than p-dogs. That being said I would sure as heck try to put one in his ear. :) Sounds like you got a sweet setup.

With the new 77 gr sierra TMK there is more energy at 1000 yards than with a 22 mag at the muzzle. If you find a gun and shooter than can hit them I am positive that the coyote is going down quick with any vital hit. At a mile this will still be like 22 lr power and I have killed a ton of yotes with marlins and rugers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.