.17 remington for yotes?

Recently bought a Savage A17 auto loader with the thumbhole stock in 17hmr using the suggested A17 cai 17gr ammo. I bought it in an attempt to lessen my costs of pd control. I've run over 1500 rounds through my 204 bolt and AR 204 since July 1 and needed to cheapen up my shooting.

I know it's not what others would use for yotes (the 17 hmr 17 gr) and I've become so fond of my 204 AR and bolt gun I sold off my bolt 22.250 and 223 AR, but the 17 has cut my cost to shoot by 2/3's but if I shoot 30 pd's an outing I'll only find a 1/3 of those as they drag themselves into their holes, where the 204 simply blew them up.

I'm sure a better bullet would make a difference, but for me I would not purposely take the 17hmr out to shoot yotes, but given a chance meeting would try to plink him 3-4 times. I'm hitting pd's out to over 300 yards consistently with it, as long as there isn't much wind and did a personal best of 428 yards last week. I just much prefer the 204 with more poop for coyotes.

Recently bought a Savage A17 auto loader with the thumbhole stock in 17hmr using the suggested A17 cai 17gr ammo. I bought it in an attempt to lessen my costs of pd control. I've run over 1500 rounds through my 204 bolt and AR 204 since July 1 and needed to cheapen up my shooting.

I know it's not what others would use for yotes (the 17 hmr 17 gr) and I've become so fond of my 204 AR and bolt gun I sold off my bolt 22.250 and 223 AR, but the 17 has cut my cost to shoot by 2/3's but if I shoot 30 pd's an outing I'll only find a 1/3 of those as they drag themselves into their holes, where the 204 simply blew them up.

I'm sure a better bullet would make a difference, but for me I would not purposely take the 17hmr out to shoot yotes, but given a chance meeting would try to plink him 3-4 times. I'm hitting pd's out to over 300 yards consistently with it, as long as there isn't much wind and did a personal best of 428 yards last week. I just much prefer the 204 with more poop for coyotes.
I'm surprised you get th at many crawl offs. My 17hmr with 17 grain ammo flattened a woodchuck at 248 and it didn't even wiggle

I've had a few that are drt, but only about 30%. At 75-125 yards my .22 shooting 36 gr has a lot less crawl offs. Weird.
I picked up some Hornady 17 ammo and once the gun gets back from Savage I'm going to see if it does any better.

You guys thinking you need a bigger rifle to kill coyotes. I don't know what the issue is. They're not hard to kill. Don't shoot them in the shoulder bone. Put a hole in the lungs and they're done. Don't shoot em in the guts or behind. I've shot plenty of big coyotes with a 204 and 32gr vmax. Don't see a difference in killing power between it and my 223s, 22-250s, and 220 Swifts. Hit em in the right spot and that's that. A good shot saves the fur too.

I've shot a few now with my 204 and the aforementioned 32gr Hornady load. I will say it doesn't seem to kill them quite as quick as the 223. They seem to get another 10-30 ft.

But the question was about shooting them with the 17. And with my experience with the 17hmr on pd's and 3/4 of them getting into their hole before expiring, I would not purposely be using it for coyotes.

Just finished my load work with my 17 Remington shooting the Reeds 32gr bullet with a BC of .301 Not hot but right at 3700 using H4895 and the Fed 205 Match groups wiell under .5 Im more than happy with the accuracy now I plan on ordering 500 more. Have heard that they work great if your a pelt hunting, will be looking forward to finding out.

That's exciting stuff right there. Let us know how they do on the prairie poodles. I just loaded some 32s up myself for the 17 Tactical. Hoping to shoot this week. My goal is "fur friendly" results.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.