17 Remington Shooters

as of November 10 the only companies that make a 25gr 17 Cal bullet is Berger. Hornady stop making there 25gr. As for 30 gr bullets Nagel is the only one left. Just got off the phone with the guy that owns Todd Kindlers bullet making dies and he told me he can not find any J4 Jackets anywhere. Add to that the fact that unless you can find some loaded 17 Remington ammo I cant find any 17 Remington cases. I purchased an annealing tool called Anneal rite just to make the Norma cases I do have last as long as possible. If anyone has more info please let us know

Donald unmussig makes 25 and 30 grain 17 cal. They shoot fantastic as good or better than todds 30 golds. Just ordered 400 more from him and don is an honest guy. 35/100 on 17 cal. He told me how many jackets he had left and it was in the thousands... reeds in okc is a scam anymore as he would charge your card and not send bullets then when you asked what was going on he would cancel your order. Far as 17 rem brass i used to make it out of 223 and it was fine other than a tad short in the neck. After that i just went with a 17 tac so i could use 223 brass.

I am a big 22 cal fan for everything but have always wanted to do a 17 Reminton build. My gunsmith has a reamer and have been thinking of doing 1 on a Tikka action and dropping it into a Bell & Carlson Tikka sporter stock. Something like a #3 or 4 contour barrel. Who all is making a fine 17cal barrel that you could order 1 from?

Lilja, Shilen, pacNor and Douglas all make .17 barrels.
K&P & Wilson, Green Mountian .makes .17 barrels also.
Hal

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hal. I think I will look into a Shilen. Is PacNor up and running again after the fire they had? Never used any of their barrels but I have heard nothing but good things in the past about them.

Donald unmussig makes 25 and 30 grain 17 cal. They shoot fantastic as good or better than todds 30 golds. Just ordered 400 more from him and don is an honest guy. 35/100 on 17 cal. He told me how many jackets he had left and it was in the thousands...

Any contact info? That's a new one I haven't heard of.

Don Unmussig (804)320-1165 (no website)
If he doesnt answer leave a message and he will call you back.