Ar or Bolt action for yotes?

tt35 has some good advise. the charging handle gets in the way of low mounted optics. a scope with 5" of relief is a good idea along with high rings or risers may be needed. my yote ar is an lr-308 ;)
All three of the above mounts should get the scope up and forward enough to clear the charging handle. At least, I don't have any clearance problems with the Burris PEPR and a Nikon Monarch. But changing handle clearance is definately something to keep in mind when purchasing a mount.

For me, the scope position is more an issue of sight picture, eye relief and target acquisition than about the charging handle. For ease of charging handle operation, I recommend getting a tactical latch like the Badger. It will extend the charging handle so it can be operated easily with a scope mounted. A tactical latch only takes a few minutes to install and you're good to go. gun)

Liked the M-4 I carried well enough for the job at hand, but for yotes... can't justify losing 200+ fps. I know it's not a lot but it's enough to make a difference.
Totally depends on your setups and terrain though. If you're not shooting anything past 350, there's nothing wrong with that AR, except you'll have to remember that hitting with the first shot is ideal. It's hard to do when you know you've got 29 more bullets as far away as a trigger pull :rolleyes:

I went to my local sporting goods store to see what they had. I purchased an inexpensive picatinny riser by Tapco. With my 50mm Vortex mounted, the front sight is about halfway up the center. But when you look through the scope you cannot see the sight at all! Must be the way a scope is focused farther out. It has good eye relief and is not too high. I still have yet to sight it in. gun)

My Yote rifle is a Smith and Wesson M&P15 with a scope, I also use it for PDogs. My furthest shot on a PDog has been 275 yards (so far) My furthest on a Yote has been well over 300 and it was the quick followup that took him down. My rifle is a 5.56x45 and thats the ammo I use. I have a 4-16x44 scope on it and used a 3/4" riser plus tall mounts to get it to the right height and also to allow me easier access to the charging handle. Here is a Pic:
DSCF3693a1.jpg gun)DSCF3695.JPG

I've always shot bolts, but I'll let you know about my experiences with an AR platform soon. Going to be filming a segment for a new show and will be trying out something from Larue Tactical....supposed to be the shiznit!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.