Rare Fox (Cross Fox)

yote doctor

Even though the weather has been warm here in SW MT, I had the itch to go out and do some calling. As I was driving to my spot, the dogs where out, and they spotted me.:rolleyes: I had an idea where they were heading so I went and found a little cover up on a side hill and started with a howl. Few minutes later I decided to try a young coyote wimper. Next thing I know they were in front of me at 300 yards barking and howling.

I had decided to use my shooting sticks that morning. (Bad idea for this shot) I was on a steep decline and was a terrible rest. Had my bipod on as well but decided to just take the shot. By the sound I thought I had hit my mark. Until the coyote ran over the hill. :cool: Decided to go look for blood and did not find any sign of my 95 gr Berger connecting with anything. Went over the ridge and called for a few. Nothing came in so decided to walk over the next hill when I ran into this beautiful(Little Guy). I was in shock when I first seen the fox. The color of this guy is amazing. Put the Berger right behind the shoulder and he was down.

I do not think I would have even seen him If I had not missed that first coyote. Never give up. Sometimes all you need to do is walk another 1/4 mile over the next ridge and there will be one waiting for ya.

This is cross between a red and grey fox. Have been told they are very rare and am very happy to have seen this one let alone shoot one. I am in the process of getting a full mount done. Cant wait!

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Awesomecolors.jpg
foxtrot.jpg
callingvarmints.jpg

The cross fox we have are are a red and silver fox cross, I've only killed a dozen of them or so in about a 1000 fox. I have a couple areas that I can count on one every couple years if I'm trapping. A cross like that is several generations removed from the original cross, I've only caught one true actual wild cross, most beautiful fox I've ever caught and the !@#@ eagles killed him and tore him up to bad to save. Most of the crosses in SW MT the silver side comes from a couple fox farms from back in the day though there is a couple pockets high in the timber that still have some wild silver genetics and I stay away from trapping fox in those areas. Beautiful fox though, they tan up real nice!!! I heard fox were going in the 30 dollar range :D

Congratulations Yote will make a beautiful mount.
Stories can be told ! proof can be shown.

Very nice! As was already said, the few I've seen were crosses with escaped silver ranch fox. That is a real trophy and I'd be happy to have shot him!

Awesome! They are pretty rare from what I have seen.
Got me one of those a few years back too. He didn't have quite as much red in him as yours though. 220 Swift and 55 gr Bergers did a heck of a number on his right front shoulder at 110 yds upon exiting....i.e. this leg was held on by a little piece of hide.

IMG_0173.jpg

Man, I'd have that fox to the taxidermist so fast it would still have steam coming off of it. Beautiful cross fox and congrats on a unique and beautiful fox.

Last year i went up bear hunting, and on the way home a cross fox jumped out about 30 yards away from the truck and stood in the middle of the road. It was almost pure black with a silver tip on the tail and ears and a silver under belly. Later that night it came to the door step of the cabin eating a beaver carcass that was left for us to use as bait from a local trapper.

This year i went up moose hunting and a buddy of mine had a cross fox very similar in color to yours come within 150 yards of him at a clear cut.

we let both go because the fur wasn't thick the first year due to early bear hunt and let the second one go this year cause there was suspensively a large bull moose in the area and we didn't want to ruin our chances.

Beautiful fox though!! congrats

Thanks Guys!

I did go straight to the taxidermist.:D
Never heard of them before. Glad to know there is a few running around out there. The fur on this one is pretty good. Would have been better in a month or so but it is in great shape. Cant wait to get it back from the taxidermist.

He has a little bit of a hole to patch on the exit side. Should have taken the 17 Rem that day. Oh well. My new 243 got its first fur!

I grew up on a mink/fox farm. My dad, uncles and grandpa all had mink and fox. We use to get our crossfox by crossing a red with a silver. The best came out with a cross on their back, which is where I thought they got their name. Yours has a very obvious cross on his back.
I can't count how many mink and fox me and my twin brother have skinned in our life.

Last edited:
Great news!!!

Taxidermist called me and asked if he could use my fox for a competition piece(couple shows).:D Then he told me he is going to do all of the work for FREE. (said he wouldnt turn down a tip though) Ha...

Now I get his best work as well. Not to mention it will be finished much sooner than planned. Cant wait!

Glad it will be out there a few times for people to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.