mangy fox

shooter53

I remember a number of years ago maybe 12/15 out with my mate, he was on the lamp to my side, i was shooting that night as we came to the top of an hill looking down on a field maybe 40 ft below us, as my mate scanned the field holding high not to spook anything we spotted a set of eyes out about 200 i got down on the floor prone position got the eyes in the scope, now the plan is to drop the lamp slowish until i see its chest and launch one off before completely lighting him up, as he dropped the light i hit his foot with my hand, our code to cut the light as i could see an animal with a small head and massive ears, after looking again i took the shot as there was no stock on the land, thwack and down we walked to get it, when we got there i couldnt believe it, it was a fox, besides a couple of hairs on the tip of its tale he was like a brown paper bag the skin was was cracked all over And because there was no fur it looked like an hyena because of the massive ears, it mas march and he made it through the winter i like to think he was happy to be shot (wish i had a picture)

I have seen both fox & coyote w/ mange! I really think that the famous "Jersey Devil"story came from one of those nude critters!! ugly as hell!!! saw a complete hairless a few years ago here in New Jersey!!

We used to kill a pile of dirty (mange) coyotes, they go in streaks it seems like, some winters are worse than others, it seems like when they are over populated the more mangy ones we kill.