Black Fox

CrimsonSplash

Anyone with experience calling in foxes... I found one I want to mount.

Scenario:

Gathering cows in the hills outside of town area where we always see foxes in the farm ground. I've never scene one in the hills, ever. Only coyotes.
Riding along on my horse with the dogs and we spooked out a black fox, black tail, silver back, and red speckled in around the chest. No rifle with me... and he wasn't that scared, just kind of hung out and walked slowly around the bend as we moved by.

I went back up and tried calling in with a wounded rabbit during the day. Nothing.
Then I tried at night with a red fox rally cry, followed by a distressed grey... nothing. Can't get him to come out.

What should I do? How can I get this one as I would love to mount him on the wall in full body mount.

I think I'll probably try day time again with a wounded woodpecker or mouse squeak, but maybe I'm up there calling and he has moved to a new location... or was passing through... it just seemed like he didn't want to leave when we arrived. So when we were calling we were within a quarter mile of that spot, thinking he was out hunting and would hear it... but maybe we were too far away?

Any thoughts?

Anyone with experience calling in foxes... I found one I want to mount.

Scenario:

Gathering cows in the hills outside of town area where we always see foxes in the farm ground. I've never scene one in the hills, ever. Only coyotes.
Riding along on my horse with the dogs and we spooked out a black fox, black tail, silver back, and red speckled in around the chest. No rifle with me... and he wasn't that scared, just kind of hung out and walked slowly around the bend as we moved by.

I went back up and tried calling in with a wounded rabbit during the day. Nothing.
Then I tried at night with a red fox rally cry, followed by a distressed grey... nothing. Can't get him to come out.

What should I do? How can I get this one as I would love to mount him on the wall in full body mount.

I think I'll probably try day time again with a wounded woodpecker or mouse squeak, but maybe I'm up there calling and he has moved to a new location... or was passing through... it just seemed like he didn't want to leave when we arrived. So when we were calling we were within a quarter mile of that spot, thinking he was out hunting and would hear it... but maybe we were too far away?

Any thoughts?
I found that Fox usually don't travel too far from their lair (not like coyotes). We have had the same Foxes in our area for a few years until the Coyotes got the. Coyotes can travel up to 30 miles round hunting trip.
ID has two types of Fox RED & KIT with the occasion of GREY entering also can have an ARTIC but very rare. The color you described may be a GREY with a mutation.
This may be a young male trying to find a new territory and passing through. Might never see him again but wish you luck! If they are hungry which they always are try smaller animal calls (bird, mouse, rabbit).

I have seen a few of that darker black color faze of red fox mostly raised on fox farms in the 80's but it is a naturally occurring color faze. The fox that I have called tended to like higher pitched sounds like young cotton tail rabbit sounds or bird sounds and not very high volume. They tend to like for the call to stop after a few minutes and then start again after a few minutes, portably 5 minutes on and five minutes break, or something of that nature, all animals get tired and need to catch their breath and rest being a smaller predator with coyotes in the area they are shy and slower to come to the call 30 minutes isn't really a long time on stand for the little reds with an hour being needed in my area at times. With the time of the year and fall dispersal going on it might have been just traveling through. Have patience and good luck with your endeavor.

I have noticed that animals don't tend to be bothered as much by a person on horseback as they are by a person walking on their own two feet, the sound of four feet hitting the ground verse two feet hitting the ground is more common to them.