Rangefinders- Leica or Bushnell

mike33

I never had a rangefinder before debating the leica 1200 or Bushnell 1500. Leica is 599.00 Bushnell 1500 345.00. Is the 254.00 difference worth it? Will i be able to see the difference? Thanks,
Mike

ONe of the most noticeable differences is the light gathering capability and the clarity of the optics. I haven't used a bushnell much but I own a leica. The leica has very very nice glass. I believe the ranging ability is slightly better in the leica.

I have a leica 1200 older model gave $500 for mine at bass pro shop. Around 5 years ago good glass and has never gave me a problem except around 1000 to 1200 yrds it's a little sensitive.

Of the two you mention definitely go with the Leica 1200, preferably one with the scan function which greatly improves your chances of getting a good mearuremnt near the limit of the unit. If you expect to shoot over 1200 yards (1500 yards and maybe a mile off of cooperative targets. ) consider the Swarovsiki guide. It's heaver than the Leica and more expensive but still reasonable. It also has good optics to use as for spotting.

I had a bushnell scout before I bought my leica 1200. My buddies swaro will out range my leica, but the small compact package is far better in my opinion than the larger rangefinders especially if you are planning on using it bow hunting.

Brent

Thanks everyone, seems like the jury came back for Leica. Im not capable of 900 + so the Leica can grow old with me. And for most part it normally only another nickel to go first class.
Mike

Re: Wild Rangefinder

I don't have anything to add directly to this conversation but wanted to put out there that I have a "spare" Wild Swiss made rangefinder if anyone is interested.

I am new to LRH and will list in the classifieds as soon as I figure out how to navigate the system.

I have owned a Leica 1200 LRF for a number of years... I love it. I bought a after-market hard case for it and wear in on my belt till I need it. It's never let me or my kids down... Worth every penny! As usual, the top quality gear is always cheaper in the long run! Years of great service with no problems! NJS

If you're into really long range shooting ( mile plus ) and you find that even the Swarovski Guide doesn't cut it, then consider the Laser Technology (LTI) Impulse 200LR. It's also the only rangefinder I've found which will work with night vision equipment. All laser rangefinders work at night, but with most you either cant see the target to aim or read the distance off the display.

There is also the Impulse 200XL model. Same rangefinder as the 200LR but it also reads inclination and azimuth giving slope and height calculations plus data output which can be connected to a computer.

Laser Technology Impulse 200XL Laser Rangefinders 7003555, 7003555 Night-Optics.com

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.