Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman

I have not however I only have about 16 pounds of H-870 remaining and have got to be looking for a replacement. It is still the best powder I have ever shot in some of my big boomers assuming you have a means to keep your cartridges at a consistent temperature and easily access them for a long range shot. It is not uncommon for it to vary over 100 fps from summer to a Wyoming winter temps.

I have not however I only have about 16 pounds of H-870 remaining and have got to be looking for a replacement. It is still the best powder I have ever shot in some of my big boomers assuming you have a means to keep your cartridges at a consistent temperature and easily access them for a long range shot. It is not uncommon for it to vary over 100 fps from summer to a Wyoming winter temps.

How do you keep them the same temp throughout the year?

Scot E.

I keep bullets in the magazine that are easily good for quick shots to several hundred yards at any temperature and seated to cycle through the magazine. I keep my long range bullets in a pocket next to my skin easily accesible for accurate long range shooting. On an extremely cold day the pocket must be on an inside garment next to your skin with a layer of insulation between it and the outside and remain accessible. Just common sense really. Your body temperature is not going to vary. If it does you have quite a bit more to worry about than keeping bullets consistent. I learned this as a kid back in the 70's shooting a 7mm-300 wby and H-870 pushing 175 grain boattails at high speed. I would have that baby dead on dialed in and miss low at long range on cold crisp rocky mountain mornings. Thank goodness when hunting in areas where a spot shot works. Didn't take but a couple times and I had that figured out.

This picture shows the 300 EOL Mag loaded with from left to right 180 grain Cutting Edge, 208 Amax and 200 grain Cutting Edge.

mcmln fmly 042.jpg

This picture shows from left to right the 180 grain Cutting Edge, 208 Amax, 210 Berger and 200 grain Cutting Edge. You can easily notice the length of the CE bullets per weight. The 180 grain is about as long as the 208 and 210 and the 200 CE is longer than either. The CE bullets are very long sleek bullets.

mcmln fmly 044.jpg

LTLR on the range with the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman. I thought it would be beneficial to put a picture with the guy doing all this writing. I wish I had got a picture of Kelly and I at the SHOT show but didn't have a camera. So you could see the guy responsible for this. It was a pleasure to meet him.

mcmln fmly 020.jpg

We had a great time shooting this rifle over the weekend. I made two containers of homemade ice cream for everybody and we shot some great groups. What could be better! This rifle just continues to amaze at the consistency it shoots with bullets from several companies. That certainly shows the quality of the firearm. Kids, women and men have shot the rifle with top loads and 200+ grain bullets with no flinch or concern for recoil. That is amazing for a RUM in a light hunting weight rifle that posseses this type of accuracy.

Here are a few targets from the weekend shooting. We shot the 200 grain Nosler Accubond, 200 grain Cutting Edge, 208 Amax and the 210 Berger with H-870 and Retumbo. Some rifles you shoot to try and get a good load. This rifle you have to realy try to get a bad load. Well, I haven't done that yet, but some are better than others.

We were trying to settle in on a hunting load and it got mentioned why not try them all. After thinking about it I think that would be a good idea. Since Mcmillan has been nice enough to let a member test drive their new hunting rifle I thought why not use it also to test different hunting bullets in it. All are shooting great and one of the most asked questions on here is bullet performance. We have the tags and the means with a super accurate rifle that shoots all bullets well. We take animals with different rifles each year so different loads is nothing new to us. I can write down the clicks for zero with each bullet and make the hits. We have already been doing that and the excellent Nightforce scope provided with the rifle has been dead on clicking to the different bullet zero's.

I considered having a vote before each hunt as to the bullet of choice. I can keep excellent shot records and photos of bullet performance. Then all will have a refference to a particular bullet on a particular animal. Let me know if any interest. Between me, my wife, and son we have quite a few tags and plan on doing all our hunting with this rifle. Why wouldn't we with a rifle this light and easy handling with top accuracy. Also a couple close friends have drawn elk tags in the trophy unit by my house and are willing to take their elk with it. A 416 and 423 out of here last year.

I wish I could say I was aiming at that piece of black tape but the bullseye was about 5" up and to the left. I can't say who shot these groups because we all shot and these were some of the better groups.

Mcmillan targets 023.jpg

Mcmillan targets 026.jpg

Mcmillan targets 029.jpg

The 200 grain Cutting Edge bullet has passed the accuracy test. In a couple months we will see how it performs on game. I just had to put these two shots in here with the 200 grain Nosler Accubond. This bullet has been shooting very well while testing this rifle. At the end of the day we had two bullets and fired them at the 500 yard target, WOW! This is when you are glad you don't have that third bullet to shoot.

Mcmillan targets 033.jpg

Mcmillan targets 034.jpg

I really like the Barnes bullets and have some 200 LRX. Have no idea why they didn't get in here. I will try and get some loaded for the next session. I love the Barnes because the seating depth is typically not critical to get excellent accuracy. Great accuracy is possible though if you hit the seating depth right on.

LTLR i have a question, i dont mean to change the subject but in a Savage 338 Lapua i am seating the 280 grain Barnes LRX .100 off the lands and am getting great accuracy but only 2710 fps so would seating them closer to the lands give me more velocity? I know that pressures will be higher and i will have to reduce the powder charge. Do you think switching to H1000 would get me more velocity?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.