McMillan EOL Outdoorsman Long Range Rifle

McMillan 041.jpg

Here is a picture of the underside of the Mcmillan G-30 action. This shows the quality of the machine and finish work in unseen areas. Every piece of metal work is finished as if it were exposed. If you notice production actions have burrs and tool marks underneath to save production costs. The action is a push feed type. The action accepts remington style triggers. This rifle has a Jewel trigger assembly with safety. The trigger pull was set at the factory to about 2 3/4 pounds but adjustable to your prefference. There is very little oil or grease for lubrication or preservation inside the bolt assembly or action. Mcmillan told me this is because the bolt and internal parts are finished with a patented NP3 electroless Nickel impregnated with teflon particles. This provides the very best in corrosion and wear resistance and also provides lubricity eliminating the need for grease. I can tell you the action glides effortlessly as you work the bolt. The tolerances are precise as they should be for a target quality rifle.

The bolt face is recessed. The bolt face, barrel shank and action all surround the case head for strength. The push feed action uses a remington style plunger/ejector, plus a secondary backup spring loaded mechanical ejector that lifts up as the bolt body passes over it at the end of the stroke.

The action is CNC machined from a very strong 17-4 stainless solid centerless ground billet blank and not a forging as some do. Then surface hardenned to 42-43 RC. This is a much tougher and corrosion resistant steel than most actions which do a 4000 series alloy.

Mcmillan took what they learned from decades of experience in the benchrest circuit and incorporated that expertise into the EOL Outdoorsman rifle. Such as absolute concentricity of the bolt and the action body around the axis defined by the bore line of the barrel which is absolutely critical in precision shooting. The face of the action is absolutely perpendicular to the axis of the bolt. Tolerances on critical parts are held to .0005" tolerances. The bolt is fitted to the action by hand, filling all the camming angles and hand lapping the lugs for precise fit. The action recoil lug is of adequate size and design for it's critical purpose and mated perfectly to the stock.

The magnum action is 8.75" long and weighs 1.75 pounds. The outside diameter is 1.36" and the magazine length is 3.68". I will list the cartridge oal's for different bullets when I do the range test which will have loading data included.

This concludes my first impression of the rifle and next I am starting a new thread for the range test. So far I have been very impressed with the quality and workmanship of the rifle. The accuracy is excellent for taking animals to over 1000 yards which I did last week on an elk with one shot. My son used the rifle to take a nice mule deer at 326 yards with one shot through the chest. I also used the rifle to take a very nice 10 point whitetail at over 700 yards with one shot.

If anyone has any questions about the rifle or something in particular you want me to look at let me know and I will try to answer your questions. If I can't I am sure Mcmillan will be glad to answer any questions for you.

I will follow this thread as I move on to another thread in a few days to report the range test.

The use of the BILLET blank is a HUGE selling point as far as I am concerned. Kelly or LTR please go into the detail of why this is the most desirable method of manufacturing a rifle action. Grain flow is paramount as is as little stress as possible introduced per a small production forging even if properly stress relieved. Like what I am seeing so far!

I like what I'm reading, I have on order a LRH-L (Tactical Hunter) in 300 Win. Mag.. Kelly said I should have it Jan.....just in time for my New Zealand Hunt in May. Can't wait for the thread on the range report. I looked at these rifles in Reno at SCI and really liked them, Kelly has been great to deal with, very helpful in answering any questions I had.
Terry

I differ in opinion than most when it comes to the stock. I like it. I have the same stock - Hunters Edge on my Tac 17 coyote rifle and it is a very ergonomic stock. There is a reason that this is their best selling design.

LTLR,

I have to really be getting old, I did miss this thread and today I had to read all five pages.

I pray your loved ones be alright!

I'm thankful and interested in reading all your findings. So far you've done a great job and
definitively great shooting.

Thanks.

I just want to let everyone know I am headed down to Dallas for the Dallas Safari Club Convention. This will be the second year we have had a booth that this show. A weel after we return from Dallas we will head to Vegas for our 24th consecutive SHOT Show. A week later we head right back for Vegas and the SCI Convention. I would like to extend an invitation to any of you who plan on attending any of the shows to stop by the booth and hand out. I really enjoy getting to meet everyone from the forums.

I have a question:
Is the almost $6000 price tag on this rifle worth it? I mean is the little better quality worth all that whopping amount of money? I cant get myself to accept the incredible outrageous price tag of some of their rifles.

You get what you pay for. The price of this rifle is in line with custom rifles at a gunshop. This is a custom rifle produced by a top manufacturer you can trust with a full return warranty if you are not satisfied. This is not a production run factory rifle. It is a custom hand made rifle. For top hunters wanting the kind of quality this rifle exemplifies with this type of warranty the price is appropriate.

You can take your chances on production rifles from other companies and may find a shooter after a few tries. This is a custom rifle with long range capability delivered to your door. A quality rifle that will deliver long range hunting performance for a lifetime if you take care of it. For dedicated long range hunters that want the best on expensive hunts to have the best opportunity for a once in a lifetime animal at long range most prefer a custom rifle like this. To produce one it is expensive because it is very labor intensive. I know because I have built them since the 1970's.

Nice response Don. I just have one thing to add. If you have to convince yourself that the quality is worth the money, then it's probably not the rifle for you. Which is okay, we don't expect every gun enthusiast to buy a rifle from us. We just want to provide the best rifle we can possibly build for those who want what we offer.

I completely agree and hope one day to be able to purchase a gun from you guys. I don't think the price is bad at all. I'd pick a different stock, but the price is right there where it should be.

I want to thank you LTLR for a fantastic review of an incredible rifle. I walked into McMillen about 10 years ago because I was in the neighborhood and was treated to a full blown tour of their facility and the process behind making those incredible stocks. They really know what their doing over there.

I would also like to add that I have no problem with the cost of such a fine rifle, just a problem with my own income!!! I'll keep saving my change!!!:D

I guess you cant buy a high quality rifle for under $5500 these days according to you guys. Everything else I guess is just junk lol
I think there are plenty of guys out there getting it done long range with custom rifles for around $2500-$3000
Hell you could walk out of the store with a savage and be ready to rock for $1000. You just wont have the "hey look at me" rifle thats all.

The Mcmillans are nice though, but the price is just way too much in my opinion.
There are many extremely good custom rifle makers out there for much less....no big deal though. Mcmillan will keep selling tons of rifles so thats good for them. I was just wondering why the high price.
I think the military deals make rifle makers look more appealing and get more people to want to buy for the military cool factor.

Its for sure a nice rifle though

There rifles are not for everyone but like cars not everyone drives a Mercedes. The old saying you get what you pay for comes into effect here also. My opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.