McMillan EOL Outdoorsman Long Range Rifle

Defiance Machine is my neighbor, they have 2 cnc at something like a mil a pop. That is just for actions. Most smiths cant afford that type of overhead and work is subbed out. A rifle manufacturing building is being done down the road from me, mil property, multi mil 25,000 ft. building, then the other mils for the manufacture end. It will produce top end rifles, that the cost will reflect, same as McMillian. There overhead has to be large.Product is fine and sought after.

I got the rifle out this morning preparing it for another range test. I brought the trigger down to 19 ounces crisp and clean for some serious long range hunting work. With a hunting rifle I prefer not to go less than that so I have some resistance and can feel it with cold fingers.

I am getting very little fouling with the Schnieder polygon barrel. I did the standard barrel break in on it and now it cleans very easily.

I got the rifle out this morning preparing it for another range test. I brought the trigger down to 19 ounces crisp and clean for some serious long range hunting work. With a hunting rifle I prefer not to go less than that so I have some resistance and can feel it with cold fingers.

I am getting very little fouling with the Schnieder polygon barrel. I did the standard barrel break in on it and now it cleans very easily.

I am so jealous!! Keep up the updates please!!

Is Schnieder the barrel which came on the EOL

Yes, the Schneider P5 polygon is standard on all McMillan EOL rifles.

The finish is what we call a Three color granite. You can mix any three colors we paint with, this particular combination is olive base with black and tan specs. The 3 color granite have quickly become the most popular of any of our painted finishes.

Thanks for the reply Kelly. It looks like you also install thicker pillars than the standard edge pillars in this stock. Is that correct? Can your mcmillan hunter with edge stock be ordered this way?

Attachments

• McMillan%20053.jpg
    McMillan%20053.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 45
I will be honest, there is absolutely no reason to put thicker pillars in a stock than the EDGE pillars. As I have stated on this forum before pillars do one thing and one thing only and that is keep the material under the receiver from crushing. Thicker would mean stronger but you couldn't crush a pillar by exerting pressure end to end in the way an action and and action screws applies pressure. However, if you want thicker pillars check with Dick Davis when ordering and I am sure we can do it. It would mean machining the pillars in the stock would be more difficult but if you insisted we could make it happen.

I will be honest, there is absolutely no reason to put thicker pillars in a stock than the EDGE pillars. As I have stated on this forum before pillars do one thing and one thing only and that is keep the material under the receiver from crushing. Thicker would mean stronger but you couldn't crush a pillar by exerting pressure end to end in the way an action and and action screws applies pressure. However, if you want thicker pillars check with Dick Davis when ordering and I am sure we can do it. It would mean machining the pillars in the stock would be more difficult but if you insisted we could make it happen.

I only ask the question as the diameter of the pillars on your custom rifle looked to be larger than on the edge stocks that I have seen. I didn't know if you might do something different on your custom rifles. I can't see enough pressure being exerted by the action screws to crush any size bedded pillar.

WE have always used a thicker pillar on any of the stocks we bed, just the way we have always done it. We put the thinner pillars in the EDGE to keep the weight down as much as possible, that is the only difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.