Range Pet Peeves!

I go during the week . We have locked gates and you have to go to a yearly range usage course . We don't have safety officers but if you get turned in for un safe actions , shooting over the berm , shooting others targets ,ect. you get your key pulled and put on the black list never to be a member again .

We also have a range for rim fire , pistols and AR's that helps with that problem for them as well as me .

I don't have a problem with 'mag dumpers', but please use a catch bag. I don't want hot brass in my face and down my collar.
Not sure what a "mag dumper" is; but I agree on the hot brass problem. In door pistol ranges are the worst, prefer the left hand wall position. I rarely have the problem at the rifle ranges, especially when I'm shooting the 338 Lapua. For some reason, no one wants to ne near me. Suits me just fine. I do use brass catches on my AR 10, mainly because I can't get them off the ground, major nack issue. Besides, the necks don't get bent.

The guy who puts his target up at 50 yards and bonces bullets into my target at 100 because he cant put his target out straight in front of him. Also the guy who wants to talk more than he wants to shoot. Closed bolt when the range is cold!

A mag dumper has an AR with up-to a 30-40 round mag and can't stop their finger from moving until the whole mag is empty in a few seconds . Mostly not caring what if any target they hit . Generally they are new to shooting AR's and don't know about brass catchers or about range usage rules

The guy who puts his target up at 50 yards and bonces bullets into my target at 100 because he cant put his target out straight in front of him. Also the guy who wants to talk more than he wants to shoot. Closed bolt when the range is cold!
I always take my bolt out and lay it beside the rifle. Its visually reassuring.

Even on our own land, I still take the bolt out. If I'm by myself I put the bolt in my back pocket. That way if anyone happens along being a looky-loo I cant be accidentally shot.

And then there are the guys who are wearing ear protection and are talking VERY loudly to their buddy at the adjacent bench, disrupting the other shooters. Or those spotting for their buddy and insists on yelling out, "IMPACT!!!". BTW, I hate the term "impact" Why can't spotters just say, "hit"? And while you're at it, do it quietly.

The shooters who won't pick up their brass. Steel case shooters are the worst.

Shooters who think that it's OK to set-up their equipment during a range break and others are downrange. Also those who think that it's OK to handle anything else on their bench except their firearm during a range break.

Shooters who don't leave their firearm in a safe condition for a range break (unloaded, action open and pointed downrange).

Range attendees who, after consuming a drink with sugar in it, puts the empty(?) can in the trash can. And others wonder why there are so many bees swarming the trash can. Leave the sugar drinks at home.

So there.

I will start with prolly my most aggravating specimen! MAG DUMPERS! This is even more so exaggerated in a range with over hang! If u want to mag dump if possible, and I know sometimes it's not, but if it is make a little room between u and the next shooter!
Can't do that at my range. 2 seconds between shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.