Range Pet Peeves!

College girls! Need help! Shooting mat! What?
Shooting Mats, Yoga Mats, Prone, Downward Dog.... It's all relative... ;)

And just to avoid anyone else getting butthurt today, Downward Dog is the actual name of a yoga position. Can't believe I actually feel compelled to have to explain that.

Last edited:
Mag dumpers, unsupervised kids going through my bags, overzealous range nazis, slipping on cheap steel cases, pistol and AR shooters next to me shooting at five yard targets standing four feet to the side of his bench killing my new target. We now go out on the desert where we can shoot up to a mile with no hindrance and much closer with no fees.

There are a lot of scantily-clad girls from a local college sorority who frequent my range, particularly in the summer time. They always want help when shooting, claiming that they have problems with cheek welds, squeezing the trigger, hot brass, etc. It's particularly aggravating when they are prone, and want you to get on their cheap Midway shooting mats to help them. Some of them are downright forward and I've had about enough of it. If it continues, I'm going back to golf.
Mag dump on them and then they will let you be.:)

The older I get.....the less I like people in general. It really doesn't mater where, boat ramp,hunting camp, golf course, range or bar, there is always that one self absorbed, better than anyone else and knows everything about everything. I seem to be a magnet for these narcissistic buffoons. and wonder why I leave the house at times. Did I mention.... that I really hate most people....?

i dont even go to ranges anymore. Easier to load the truck up with a folding table, target stand and/or gongs and whatever gear i need and go out to BLM.
Only issue with that is the stupid *** kids with their atvs every once in while...but it aint nothing some c-wire cant solve.

I like to go in the middle of the week! It's almost private at 10:30 Wednesday morning.
The range has a dozen benches and there will only be 2 or 3 of us shooting.
Then we go to the clubhouse for lunch and a cold drink. It's an old guy thing!
The club has a nice pond ..2 skeet fields and about 30 trap fields also a field archery course so there is something to do after you shoot your rifles...

Last edited:
I've already said this before, but guys who ask if I'm a member of the range. That's super annoying. There's gate with a padlock that they change the combo every 6 months. If I'm at the range I'm clearly a member.

Also, my range is big boy rules, no range safeties, so I get really annoyed with guys who become self appointed range safeties.

Other than that everyone is pretty good / respectful at my range. We also have a multi use range for the "mag dumpers" which is pretty cool.

We are about the same..You have to leave your membership card to get a gate key?
Just put it in the basket and take a key it's the same for the lake.
Trash bothers me.And the guys with those old worn out military type guns
(the ones that look like the $19.95 ones you could buy off the backs of comic books
back in the day) They just shoot and gripe about not shooting good?..I wonder why?
Don't go the 2 weeks prior to deer season! It will just upset you! All the experts are out!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.