Range Pet Peeves!

So had a thread similar to this and it got closed up because it got a little rowdy! So please pay attention to posts to keep it moving. Everyone has their quirks or procedural approach at the range. What is the #1 thing that ruins your range day done by other range members?
WOW...you must be in a good mood this time...lol!

I would rather deal with animals on the range than the "walkers" at my range! 50x scope with two foot of sun shade hanging off the barrel, bedazzled in multicam! "Range Life"!
Come on now.....two feet of sunshade is better than fellas putting up multi colored 4 ft. Umbrellas don't you think? Might confuse folks thinking that they are an outdoor lounge and make someone ask why everyone else has guns at their tables!

The bad manners are everywhere.

A few years ago at a gun show, I had my expensive XP-100 set up on the table as a display item (amazing how a high end gun attracts people). Doesn't matter if you can shoot or not, they think you can.
View attachment 140867

A guy walked up to look at the cleaning products I was offering with is 8-10 yo kid.

The kid grabbed the XP and started trying to open the bolt, almost knocked it off the table.

I kind of snapped at him with "Hey Buddy, ask before you touch!"

Immediately the dad barked at me not to yell at his son, I barked back at him with "Then teach your brat some manners, he should be taught to never touch a gun without permission, especially someone else's gun!"

It started to get nasty, so I asked him politely to just walk away from my table, not going to sell you anything.

I have never touched someone else's gun with out first asking permission. For some reason that is not being taught these days.

I have asked to look at guns at a gun shows and gotten "you don't need to ask, just do it" Not this boy, my dad would raise up out of the grave to smack me.

I have zero issue with someone that wants to look at one of my guns, but they need to ask first and it will be on my terms.
I know what you mean. If the parent isn't smart enough or such a bad parent not to teach manners and etiquette, then I feel it's my job. If the parent is offended and didn't like it and says to take it up with them and not the kid, tough. I'll tell him if you won't teach them, I will.

Rude kids with zero manners are the bane of society, period. Guys pulls up in a Caddy to the hangar where they just rolled out a completely refurbished & newly repainted P-51 Mustang (probably close to 1.5 to 2 million $$!) . Guy picks the kid up & puts him on wing where he promptly runs up & down the wing. Owner of the plane blows a gasket and promptly runs up and down the Caddy leaving serious foot prints! Guy took his kid and left... quickly!

However, one of my best range stories involves my shooting buddies 4 year old. I see the little girl playing in the dirt near the truck. Since her dad wasn't particularly watchful of her (yep, one of those... fortunately, she was pretty well behaved) I went over to see what she was doing. Shes sitting next a red ant hill and letting the ants crawl all over her hands! I told her that the ants sometimes bite and that she shouldn't be playing with them. She says, "Oh, they won't bite me, they're my friends." Ah, says I. I go back to the bench and tell dad his kid is playing with red ants. He says, "she'll learn." Wasn't 2 minutes later there's a wailing from behind us, of course they started stinging and biting the kid. I just shook my head while dad goes to comfort the kid. He's back a few minutes later, ready to shoot. Hmm. 15 minutes later, after I've shot another group, I look over and there's the kid squatting over the ant hill again! Ok, I know she's only 4 but how dumb can you get? Hoping to avoid another wailing break, I go over to see that she's hunkered down, squashing each ant with her thumb as fast as they can come out of the nest! Definitely her daddy's daughter!
Cheers,
crkckr

Just yesterday, the day after I last posted, I was walking at a Tanger outlet complex minding my own business when all of a sudden I felt something collide with my lower leg. When I turned around I saw a little boy, maybe around 4 years old, laying on the concrete. I looked immediately for a parent and didn't see one initially until this big lurpy jerk appeared giving me a dirty look. I returned the look and, as I walked away, I heard him ask the boy if I pushed him over. I couldn't believe what I just heard and told him the kid fell trying to catch up to him and for him to watch over his kids. I expected a confrontation which, for the father, wouldn't have been a wise move but he just said thank you in his smarmy tone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts