Range day with the 300 ultra.

7 1/4 pds. ?!? 😳 That's scarry light for a RUM. Are you gonna brake it ?
No, probably not. At the moment it's quite manageable off the bench, but the scope is very heavy. This will most likely change when I swap to the compact Leupold 4.5-14x44.
I'm not bothered by it anyway as I have much bigger stuff that isn't braked.
My only true braked rifle is my custom 338-416 Rigby Improved….it needs it.

Cheers.

If you really wanna see impressive short range kill shots…… load up some of the old 180 grain accubond or ballistic tips in that 338 rum. Nosler stopped making the BT. But I've still got a box or 2. It's been years but if I remember correctly we got them up to 3700 fps. UNBELIEVABLE devastation inside of 200 yards on deer and hogs.
I might have to try that just for fun! The 180 grain SST's make a mess so I can only imagine what the ballistic tips would do.

My original one was a bit spicy without a brake too.

6D22EE1D-660B-4C1D-8098-BF4A7F82CBB6.jpeg

Mine has shot a couple boxes of 175lrx with 92gr retumbo in r-p brass. I ran the same 10 pieces of brass for most of them. Light(ish) 3100fps load was easy to shoot and 5 shot groups were .300" so that's where I stayed. 112fsak small shank flat back.

TE="MagnumManiac, post: 2416539, member: 10755"]
No, probably not. At the moment it's quite manageable off the bench, but the scope is very heavy. This will most likely change when I swap to the compact Leupold 4.5-14x44.
I'm not bothered by it anyway as I have much bigger stuff that isn't braked.
My only true braked rifle is my custom 338-416 Rigby Improved….it needs it.

Cheers.
[/QUOTE]
You must be a gorilla of a man! I don't mind while hunting but shooting off the bench for a bunch of rounds not enjoyment for me.
(without brake and Sporter barrel on RUM).

Last edited:
Haha, you probably did, I think I am losing it!

Carbon 6/ McGowan.

I have two these barrels and both have been a little slow. The RUM is very accurate so can't complain about that. The 308 win is meh...
Hey Shane,
I forgot to post the powder load. I had it in the other thread. It was 92.5 grs. N570.
I've since backed down to 92.0 grs. . Low ES and SD.

I can't get above 88gr of N570 with a 215 in ADG brass. I think my bolt face/firing pin could use some work. It shows pressure early and gives swipe on virgin cases without firing. Just a Rem 700.