300 RUM vs 338 LM Range day

Kalashnikov

Went to the range today to verify drop charts and shoot some head to head with my "heavy" 700P 338 Lapua and my "lightweight" M700 SPSS 300 RUM. The witnessed results again confirm the 300 RUM just flat out works and works well. I have already printed off adjusted drop charts this evening and will be back to re-verify soon.

Factory M700 MLR 338 LM bedded into an A5 (15 lbs) pushing handloaded 250 Scenars at 2850 fps
338LM700MProne.jpg

338 LM drop chart was pretty good with some minor adjustment to zero out to 700 m. Average 700 m (770 yard) 5-shot group at 1 MOA - nothing too impressive. Best 338 group of the day was this 600 m (660 yard) 3-shot group = 5 1/4"

338LM600M.jpg

Factory M700 SPS SS 300 RUM bedded into Bansners Stock (7.75 lbs) pushing handloaded 180 Accubonds at 3270 fps. Drop chart needed some tweaking that's for sure, but man was this rig on fire today. The 700 m group was a personal best.
300RUMLwt_1.jpg

300 RUM, Best 600 m (660 yard) group = 3 1/8"
300RUM600M.jpg

300 RUM, Best 700 m (770 yard) group = 2 1/2"
300RUM700M.jpg

Last edited:
nice shootin, looks like your light gun will hang with the heavy any day. keep track of the barometric pressure when tweeking those charts.

depopulator/Kalashnikov....

fancy meeting you here! Those are some nice groups, my friend. Nice range too, your back yard? Nice rifles as well.
Almost ready for them big Alberta deer, EH?
So as I get some hunting boolits from Richard, I'll post my findings. My Rum isn't as pretty as yours though!

archdlx

nice shootin, looks like your light gun will hang with the heavy any day. keep track of the barometric pressure when tweeking those charts.

Will do. I have been at this for a few years, but the more I learn, the more I realize I have so much to learn. Thanks

depopulator/Kalashnikov....

fancy meeting you here! Those are some nice groups, my friend. Nice range too, your back yard? Nice rifles as well.
Almost ready for them big Alberta deer, EH?
So as I get some hunting boolits from Richard, I'll post my findings. My Rum isn't as pretty as yours though!

archdlx

Good to see a fellow Albertan on here. The range is Genessee. Yes, one more range session before I head up to Peace River for the last 5 days of the archery season and first 5 days of the rifle season for antlered mule deer and bull elk, and maybe a bear or a whitetail if the right one shows himself at the far, far edge of a field or across the valley....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.