Range day with the 300 ultra.

7 1/4 pds. ?!? šŸ˜³ That's scarry light for a RUM. Are you gonna brake it ?
No, probably not. At the moment it's quite manageable off the bench, but the scope is very heavy. This will most likely change when I swap to the compact Leupold 4.5-14x44.
I'm not bothered by it anyway as I have much bigger stuff that isn't braked.
My only true braked rifle is my custom 338-416 Rigby Improvedā€¦.it needs it.

Cheers.

If you really wanna see impressive short range kill shotsā€¦ā€¦ load up some of the old 180 grain accubond or ballistic tips in that 338 rum. Nosler stopped making the BT. But I've still got a box or 2. It's been years but if I remember correctly we got them up to 3700 fps. UNBELIEVABLE devastation inside of 200 yards on deer and hogs.
I might have to try that just for fun! The 180 grain SST's make a mess so I can only imagine what the ballistic tips would do.

My original one was a bit spicy without a brake too.

6D22EE1D-660B-4C1D-8098-BF4A7F82CBB6.jpeg

Mine has shot a couple boxes of 175lrx with 92gr retumbo in r-p brass. I ran the same 10 pieces of brass for most of them. Light(ish) 3100fps load was easy to shoot and 5 shot groups were .300" so that's where I stayed. 112fsak small shank flat back.

TE="MagnumManiac, post: 2416539, member: 10755"]
No, probably not. At the moment it's quite manageable off the bench, but the scope is very heavy. This will most likely change when I swap to the compact Leupold 4.5-14x44.
I'm not bothered by it anyway as I have much bigger stuff that isn't braked.
My only true braked rifle is my custom 338-416 Rigby Improvedā€¦.it needs it.

Cheers.
[/QUOTE]
You must be a gorilla of a man! I don't mind while hunting but shooting off the bench for a bunch of rounds not enjoyment for me.
(without brake and Sporter barrel on RUM).

Last edited:
Haha, you probably did, I think I am losing it!

Carbon 6/ McGowan.

I have two these barrels and both have been a little slow. The RUM is very accurate so can't complain about that. The 308 win is meh...
Hey Shane,
I forgot to post the powder load. I had it in the other thread. It was 92.5 grs. N570.
I've since backed down to 92.0 grs. . Low ES and SD.

I can't get above 88gr of N570 with a 215 in ADG brass. I think my bolt face/firing pin could use some work. It shows pressure early and gives swipe on virgin cases without firing. Just a Rem 700.