300 Weatherby vs. 300 Ultra, is the gain worth the cost?

I agree with Jerry , I believe that if you don't need all the horsepower that the big mags offer then whay shoot one I shoot a 308 for deer and have a longest kill of 618yds.
if your only gonna be shooting out to say 500-600yds then the 300Win mag is all the gun thats needed and if you look at the ballistics I realy don't see enough differance to burn 30+ more grains of powder. And with the 300Win you can get Lapua brass for around 65 cents each and their is several good match loads out their that can be had already loaded.

So what is your intended target and at what range ??

The barrel will be a 1.250 straight taper, 30" long. intended target is white-tailed deer at 700-1300yds(across hollows...so needs to shoot the 200gr+ bullets to buck the wind)
hope this helps
later
Dan

In a 30" Lilja barrel Bill Bailey was shooting a 210gr bullet at nearly 3200fps from his 300rum. Now Berger makes a real nice 210gr bullet in 30 cal and the BC is pretty high. Using the 210gr wildcat bullets Bill was able to completely seperate a 1.25" thick steel gong from the rod it was welded too. So you definantly have some knock down power.
Bill is now trying the 240 SMK and hopefully Richard Graves might be able to build a 240 or 250gr ULD some time soon

Take it easy
Steve

See that was easy...GO RUM. Min 200gr. but do try the 210, 220, and 240's.

Also, consider a barrel block and a longer barrel. With wind, the faster you can go the better.

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]
hopefully Richard Graves might be able to build a 240 or 250gr ULD some time

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, and I'd guess I'm only one of many axiously awaiting them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Somebody get that man some 30 cal jackets!

If you go to 1000br sites you might some pics. A barrel block is a machined hunk of steel or alum that acts as a really big clamp. It attaches to the barrel just in front of the action receiver and usually 6 to 10" long.

This block supports the weight of the barrel, not the receiver. When bolted to a stock, it needs no bedding and is very rigid. Just one way to improve accuracy with big heavy barrels.

The action is usually not bolted to the stock if a block is used.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.