300 Weatherby vs. 300 Ultra, is the gain worth the cost?

DanielLudwig

ive been looking at the big .30s lately, and these are the two options that i keep coming back to...so here is my question:
Is the gain in velocity with the 300 Ultra worth the increased powder useage, brass costs, and felt recoil over the 300 Weatherby?
thanks
later
Dan

Brass is probably going to be more expensive on the weatherby.

I had your same doubt and am going with an ultra now.

Weatherby, though very interesting looking with that shoulder, will cost you out the @$$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

300 RUM ammo is not cheap by any means but you can pay up to 60-80 dollars for a single box of weatherby loads versus 35 for some RUM ammo. Both a awesome rounds but I would say go with the RUM.

Steve

Go with the 300 rum. It will cost you less and have more potential to be accurate. All of the rifles chambered in 300 weatherby will have alot of freebore. Not good in my book. I love my 300 ultra.

Based on using 300Wby brass using same cost per lb of powder and same bullet the 300Wby cost more to reload per round than a 300rum if using Rem brass in both calibers the higher cost would be the 300rum. Hard to say which is better me I like both of them since I own one of each. I shot a 30-378 Wby now that was a noticeable increase in recoil and velocity even with a factory brake I decided the gain with that rifle wasn't worth it so sold everything. I like the case capacity of the 300rum for the 200gr bullets alittle better than the 300wby. I think you would be happy with either caliber. Well good luck.

Remington and Hornady both make brass for the Weatherby. The REM brass is the same cost as the RUM brass and the Horandy brass is not that much more.. Just so you guys know.

thanks for all the input guys! as dakor said Remington and Hornady both make 300 Wea brass now, and according to my currend midway catalog, Remington 300 Wea brass is about $10 cheaper a 100 than 300 RUM...but from what you all are saying maybe the RUM is worth it since this would be a gun for heavier bullets.
thanks
later
Dan

300 Weatherby with 240s in match chamber with no freebore throat will stand up to any other caliber much less the RUM. My first HG was 300 Weatherby that has shot many 6" (10 shot) groups and is still going strong.

Brass is the cheapest part of a LR rig. For accuracy the knowledgable LR accuray buffs will tell you go with best bullets and brass first.

Buy some RWS brass and you can wear out a barrel with 40 pieces. Best brass costs a $1 each.

Key will be what weight will gun finish out at but Weatherby will go well out past 1000 accurately as anything.

If you are buying factory loads in either and shooting LR, you are going about it wrong and have problems even comparing that.

IF I wanted a really LR 30 cal it would be the 30/338 Lapua. Once again best brass and ballistics. However, that ain't no carry gun.

In my opinion, comparing cost of brass in a LR gun is like comparing custom made race tires to retreads for a NASCAR car. A custom LR gun will cost $1500-3500 so $100 for 100 pieces of the best brass is pittance.

Rem brass just is not worth the pain and effort to weigh and sort compared to quality brass.

BH

300 RUM hands down--- I'm in love with mine. With the Nosler Accubond 200 gr. 0.588 BC, 3200+ ft/s muzzle velocity, you can really see it when you hit a rock at 1350 yards... the remington brass for me has worked better than most folks opinions; it shoots good, very happy with it!

I am not a gun smith or accuracy expert by any means but I will tell you what I have been told by many people. The adavantages the RUM has over the Weatherby is not having the large free bore that many people complain about and the RUM isn't belted which allows the case to be headspaced off the shoulder I believe.

I have also heard that if you want to eventually use this action in a custom rifle even though the weatherby locking lugs are very strong I was told you could ensure just as much if not more contact from a remington or some other similiar style bolt.

Like I said I am not a gunsmith so if any of that doesn't make sense I apologize.

take it easy
steve

I own the 300 RUM and I shoot any bullet made for it without
a brake or any other recoil asborer. It doesn't kick that bad. You talk about being accurate at 200 yds I put the cross hairs in the Leupole scope right at the center of my target and thats where the bullet went. I mean right there.
I shoot these 23/4" stick on targets.

The only advantage in my opinion the 300 wby has over the RUM is a bit more barrel life. Personaly I have never been dissapointed in my 300 RUM. Not that the wby is bad. My rifle is a complete custom and whether or not its factory vs factory or custom vs custom I would still keep my 300 RUM. Cant say enough good about it. Ive even had the 30-378 wby, still like the 300 RUM better.

Let's start by asking what you plan to use this rifle for? How long a barrel, how heavy? How far to engage what game? What bullet weights you plan to shoot?

I pick the combo that suits my needs. I don't consider one cartridge better then another. They are all good and bad, it just depends...

More details please.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts