Range and Dope

264Wins

How do you guys range and correct? Rangefinder, mil-dots and math, kestrel and calculus, etc? Anyone not using any electronics at all? Using all in one ballistic computer/rangefinder? What is your preferred method and why?

Depends on the amount of time available to range the shot. If I have to take the shot with little time available I use the MOA or Mil reticle - depends there on which of my scopes I'm using. If I have all day to make the shot I use my rangefinder and double check the data in the scope reticle - never did trust those electronic gadgets too much. There are times, of course, when I just don't bother at all if the risk of failing to make a clean kill is too great.

I evolved over several years. When my shooting was under 5-600 yards I was using Mildots and a drop chart. Other than wind dope, I found Mildots to be more effective than the RF technology at the time. At least the technology that was accessable, or that I could afford. I then evolved to a rangefinder/calculator/kestral which proved to be more precise and improved my effective range over using Mildots. For the last four years I have used the Gunwerks G7 rangefinder that has built in capabilities except for wind doping and my range has once again increased with game successfully taken beyond 1000 yards. This technology reduced my time to shot which has had an additional impact on my hunting success. Technology has advanced to the point where the electronics have proven to be very reliable compared to days past. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.