Angles and maximum point blank range.

phillietimothy

Hello and Happy Hollidays to all. If one stays within the maximum point blank range of a given cartridge, can the angle of the shot be ignored? Thank you for your help.

Tim

I'll take a stab at this. I would say that it depends on the angle, and size of the target area you want your maximum point blank range to stay within. If we are talking about your bullet's trajectory staying 2-3" above or below the line of sight, then those ranges wouldn't be extreme and you wouldn't have to compensate much if any at all. For an elk not so much, for a squirrel... probably.
I have shot on what was called a high angle course a couple different places. However, neither was truely high or at an extreme angle at long distance. Seems for closer ranges (300 or so) we would just favor low and strike center mass. The problem we run into is with actually ranging with the reticle (we couldn't use a LRF). A hint to some of you guys that try this, you need an accurate target width as the height is deceiving looking up or down.:D:D

I would like to hear other's experiences as well.

Definitely depends on the size of your target. If you have sighted in your 7mm Rem Mag at 200 yards and shoot at a prairie dog at 100 yards, you can go right over his head. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.