How to figure range for up or down angles?

pburton

Over the last couple of years I have been slowly getting into long range shooting and hunting. So still trying to figure things out. My question is how do you figure for uphill and downhill angles when ranging targets? I use a Leica 1000 rangefinder and it does not compensate for angles.

There are a few different types of approaches that can be used.
-attach a cosine indicator to your rifle mount/scope and use a chart to determine the correction factor to your range or dope. Or, you can manully enter the output of your indicator into your hand held calculator to provide the corrected dope. At ranges under 500 yards I just took the value off the indicator and mentally reduced the range by doing the multiplication in my head. I'd recommend reading Brian Litz's book on Long Range Ballistics to understand the methodology.
-use hand held calculator(I like Shooter on my IPhone) that has the capability to determine the angle by placing it on your rifles scope turret when ready for the shot. You can then engage the devise to automatically provide the corrected dope. This is easy and fairly fast.
-Obtain a rangefinder that automatically outputs the corrected range or dope. This is the easiest and fastest approach. I currently use the G7 rangefinder.
Hope tis helps.

If you use an iPhone app, some of them will calculate the angle if you sight down the length of the phone. Then the app will automatically calculate the adjustment.

There are a few different types of approaches that can be used.
-attach a cosine indicator to your rifle mount/scope and use a chart to determine the correction factor to your range or dope. Or, you can manully enter the output of your indicator into your hand held calculator to provide the corrected dope. At ranges under 500 yards I just took the value off the indicator and mentally reduced the range by doing the multiplication in my head. I'd recommend reading Brian Litz's book on Long Range Ballistics to understand the methodology.
-use hand held calculator(I like Shooter on my IPhone) that has the capability to determine the angle by placing it on your rifles scope turret when ready for the shot. You can then engage the devise to automatically provide the corrected dope. This is easy and fairly fast.
-Obtain a rangefinder that automatically outputs the corrected range or dope. This is the easiest and fastest approach. I currently use the G7 rangefinder.
Hope tis helps.

What is the name of that app? Can't seem to find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.