Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I used FOXPRO after I couldn't get Jhonny Stewart 512's any longer ( they were a cassette tape caller ) . For starting out callers I like hand held calls as they aren't very expensive and you can make a wide range of sounds with them . Critter call makes some that are easy to learn to use as does Randy Anderson , his are sold by Primos . His hot dog lil dog and ki-yi are easily learned and all of them are a few hundred dollars cheaper to get started with then Eletronic callers are . There is a learning curve with the E-callers also , figuring out the volume , the duration of calling and what calling sound to use . If you go with a hand held howler try just using the mouth piece with out the long sound chamber on it at first and that makes them easier to handle . Your hands can work the same as the sound chamber , and if you want to dull down or deaden the volume put a pair of cloth gloves on , the cloth absorbs some of the sound waves . If I were to recommend any hand calls it would be the medium critter call or the lil dog white and green mouth pieces for first time buyers and callers . I had some points saved up at Sportsmans ware house so last winter I ask my neighbors if I could give their 7 year old son some calls . I ask because I know how young people are with them and the calls can get to be annoying . The ones that I gave him were the Randy Anderson calls that came in two sets . The hot dog and ki-yi in one set and the two lil-dogs in another . I then went over and gave him and his dad lessons on using them . Mom was pretty tolerant of it lol we stayed outside , the neighbor hood dogs not so much .

I haven't had any of the coyote vocalizations on e-callers do the sounds that I really like to use except the canine puppy sounds and for me they are a special use and reserved sound for hard to get adults and for my purposes the Johnny Stewart canine puppy 101 sound was the one that worked the best but then I was there to kill problem coyote not just to kill coyote . Foxpro had a puppy sound that was identical to it . It was an older puppy sound not new born puppies looking for mom and feeding time . For me I often left coyote that weren't causing trouble till fur season because the ones that would replace them might be bigger problems and hard core lamb killers . I tended to try and not make more work for myself and be as efficient as I could .

I'll buy that hand caller and probably ship it to my my buddy. He would have a way better chance of making something like that work than me. I'd probably have a bunch of house cats looking for food. Not that I could afford it but how cool would it be to have a pro guided coyote hunt. You should throw an add up and see what happens

You will be amazed at how easy they are to learn to use and how many different sounds can be made . It's amazing how many different animals will come to the calls . I've had antelope , deer , cows , horses , badgers , hawks , eagles owls and yes even rabbits come to my calling . One morning I was up on the mountain calling using howls and had a bunch of cows with new calves put me in a rock pile and keep me there for awhile till they figured out I wasn't really a coyote . Another time I got called about coyote killing lambs that had a lama as a guardian . I started howling and the lama gathered the ewes and lambs up herded them to another part of the pasture then came back and wanted to chase me .

Several years ago my brother and girl friend came out to visit in mid June . They wanted to go up in the mountains so I figured I would take them on a 50 mile loop . It had rained the night before we went . As we were getting into some timber I saw some elk tracks that were fresh as we got to the top of a small rise and to a flat spot I stopped the truck and you could see some elk in the timber and quaking aspen trees . We got out quietly and were watching them . I got my open reed call out and made a few chirps and barks like an elk calf . about 6 cows and calves came charging past with in a few feet of us and they freaked out said some choice words about my mental state and that I nearly got them ran over by a heard of elk . I nearly fell down laughing then ask them where else would you have ever had that kind of experience and a story to tell your friends that they could never have . They decided that it really was some thing that nobody else they knew could experience and they did get some pictures of elk in the timber . Latter that day as we were on our way down we ran into some cattle and calves being herded to summer pasture so we pulled over parked the truck and I got some fried chicken out for a tail gate lunch and shared some with the two guys trailing the cattle . All in all an experience that neither of them will ever forget and one that won't happen often if ever again .

That's good stuff. One time I was packing out of an old growth unit near randle Washington during the rut. I was walking out an old grade towards the crew bus out on the main line with my saw and ax over my shoulder and gas jugs in my other hand with my pack. Head down just clicking along and a 3 point bull with double eye guard's steps out in front of me about 10' and stops and looks at me with bloodshot eyes and made me realize I'm just a puny human. Then it took off and galloped towards the crew bus but must have dove off before anyone else saw it. Never will I forget that

I'll buy that hand caller and probably ship it to my my buddy. He would have a way better chance of making something like that work than me. I'd probably have a bunch of house cats looking for food. Not that I could afford it but how cool would it be to have a pro guided coyote hunt. You should throw an add up and see what happens
I would like to be DSheetz's first customer for a guided hunt .

DSheetz, is there a way you can get them to sit still at 1 mile out for a few minutes, maybe longer depending on wind and mirage