Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I believe you are correct Neal . With time and experience most of us will learn when and where we can cut corners . While we are figuring that out we often make a mess of things , that's why we know not to do those things again , but it's the ones that still don't believe they messed it up and keep doing the same things over and over again that amaze me . The not me's somebody else caused it's , I just smile and don't tend to want to hang out around those types . My grandmother was born in 1913 and taught me a lot of things one of them was not to go looking for trouble because you were sure to find it if you did . I still miss her a lot but that's the selfish in me showing .

Still haven't heard any coyotes around here which is strange for this time of year. There's a hay field across the road from me that used to be a swamp that they used to really get to howling in but lately it's been very quiet. Wouldn't surprise me if they shot a few of them at night and sent them somewhere else to howl. My friend down the road hasn't sent me any kill pics lately but sometimes he lets them go for a while and clean out some of the barn cats and get comfortable before he starts lowering the boom on them.

At the time I was learning about snaring there were some good people out there that knew how to snare . I started with Tompson snares but they didn't do what I wanted where I live and for what I needed . I went with Gregerson snares next . They did better for me in my situation but I still wasn't completely satisfied . Next I went with Patterson knot snares that I made from 7x7x3/32 aircraft cable they did better for me . next I went with a longer cable as advised by Craig O Gorman . They were a little long for my needs . So a 5 foot snare was too short as was a 6 and 7 foot snare . But a 10 foot snare was too long I made up some 8 and 9 foot snares put them out and found that I tended to like the 8 foot snares for my style of snaring . Almost all of the older guys said that using baking soda and simmering then to clean them and knock the shine off of them was the better way to go , so I said to my self lets do it that way . I did try not doing it and found coyote avoiding them till the shine went away on it's own with time and weather so figured doing it was time well spent . The older more experienced guys told me you need to hang your snares so that they are held solid and don't wiggle around in the wind . Some of them used 14 gauge wire some of them used 9 wire with a collar on the cable to fasten them to the 9 wire . both worked well for me and had places where they worked better one way then the other . I don't like catching other things then predators so found for me here in my area that trail sets did that way too often . So for me then I used crawl unders in fence lines the most and ended up using them almost exclusively . I found that a 10 inch loop was about as good as I could get for that with the bottom of the loop a couple of inch's off the ground for a couple of reasons . I wanted the coyotes front feet to go beside and under the snare loop not through it neck catch's are my goal . Next here the snow and rain will freeze the cable in the bottom of the hole under the fence and you get bad catches or no catches . I like my cable a couple of inches from the fence wire so it doesn't interfere with it's closing , but not too far from it so the animal doesn't go between it and the fence or knock it down before going through the snare loop . With the amount of winds we have here I learned to set the snare with the lock tilted upward slightly so the wind didn't blow it closed . Our state laws changed and made the Patterson knot illegal to use as it didn't have a break away to it . So I went to the cam-locks with a 165 lb. s hook style break away device . Dam a lot of stuff hanging around to be seen oh well make it dull not shinney , not rough so it will still closes fast . pre set the cable by pulling it over a broom handle or something like that so it wants to close kind of like spring loading the cable . Next came the no part of a snare can be attached to the fence . Ok a rebar trap steak with 9 wire wrapped at the top driven in the ground with the wire sticking up next to the fence bent so that your loop is where you want it to hang . They make things to anchor your snares and traps with but I like the old fashioned trap stakes put through my snare loop at the end of my cable . With all of my rocky ground I cross stake with two 18 inch rebar stakes my end loop is around an inch so my stakes are made with 1/2 inch rebar with a 1/2 flat washer welded on the end of it . They are reusable and being put in at opposing angles only pull out one at a time . I use an 8 inch pair of vice grip pliers below the washer then twist the rebar till it's loose in the ground and pull it out of the ground . there are different ways that people might like better then my ways but my way works for me and doesn't cost me a lot in money or time .

Last edited:
Someone needs to set you down and write a book or make a dvd or something. I'm about to loose an old timer friend in his 90's and really wishing I'd have made a video of every time I've sat and had coffee with him and his wife. Untold history is the stuff I like the best. Guess the town slaughtered a group of about 50 Indians camped out by a river. Can't remember why he said they did it or what year but it wasn't very many years ago and definitely not something you'll see on a billboard coming into town. They brought in a couple wild white kids at the school house he went to. Hard to remember the exact details, him and his wife were both throwing they're version at me but I was just trying to wrap my head around how something like that would even be possible. So many stories and they'll probably disappear in time.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine told me he hadn't heard a coyote all year long and thought it was really odd . I ask him does you neighbor have guard dogs with his sheep ? Yes he does why . ? Well if every time you said something you ended up getting chased and beat up you wouldn't say much either would you ?

I read about Ishi That means man if I recall right . He was found with his hair singed off as a way of mourning the loss of his family and tribe in the same manner as you described Neal . He lived at a university till he died of T B . The people in northern California put out poisoned food for the starving tribes there . Mankind has and still does some very inhumane things to others . The Russians did the same thing in Afghanistan when they were fighting there not too many years ago .

I read about Ishi That means man if I recall right . He was found with his hair singed off as a way of mourning the loss of his family and tribe in the same manner as you described Neal . He lived at a university till he died of T B . The people in northern California put out poisoned food for the starving tribes there . Mankind has and still does some very inhumane things to others . The Russians did the same thing in Afghanistan when they were fighting there not too many years ago .
Hello DSheetz ,

Ishi was the LAST of the Yahi tribe of Native American Indians who inhabited Northern California , somewhere near Oroville , California .The majority of the Yahi Tribe was killed in 1865 , in an event known as "The Three Knolls Massacre" , and the few remaining members of the tribe stayed hidden in the mountains of Northern California , until all of them , except Ishi , were killed in a raid in 1908 . Ishi was found on August 29 , 1911, starving and scrounging for meat scraps at a local slaughterhouse in Oroville , California , and was arrested by the local Sheriff .
News of the last , un-civilized Native American spread quickly , and Ishi was "Given" to the Anthropology Department of the University of California , Berkeley , where he was taken , and put on display .
Dr. Saxton Pope (of Pope and Young Archery fame) was the University of Cal. , Berkeley's physician and medical instructor , and he developed a lasting friendship with Ishi , who taught Dr. Pope and his friend Arthur Young how to make bows , arrows , and arrow heads (from Obsidian) for hunting , and Ishi taught them how to hunt .
The trio of Ishi , Pope , and Young , gave birth to the sport of Modern Archery .
Ishi accompanied both Pope and Young on several hunting trips .

Ishi lived the remainder of his life at the University of California , Berkeley , until his death in 1916 , from Tuberculosis .

My buddy in eastern Washington just called and I need to get my butt over there for some long range coyotes he's been spotting. I've got just a tiny bit of tuning left to go on a 300 prc and he just wants them dead. Hopefully get it finished this next weekend and get something planned. Pretty stoked.

My buddy in eastern Washington just called and I need to get my butt over there for some long range coyotes he's been spotting. I've got just a tiny bit of tuning left to go on a 300 prc and he just wants them dead. Hopefully get it finished this next weekend and get something planned. Pretty stoked.
In 2017 I was hired to do bird control work on the Snake River in Eastern Washington not far from the town of Dayton, WA.
While there for the summer of 2017, I got to know several ranchers and farmers who wanted every coyote on their property killed due to the calf mortality.
On my off time I chased coyotes and it was most certainly a long range proposition.
Late May into early June was the most productive time for me.
Best wishes for your hunt!

Ed

In 2017 I was hired to do bird control work on the Snake River in Eastern Washington not far from the town of Dayton, WA.
While there for the summer of 2017, I got to know several ranchers and farmers who wanted every coyote on their property killed due to the calf mortality.
On my off time I chased coyotes and it was most certainly a long range proposition.
Late May into early June was the most productive time for me.
Best wishes for your hunt!

Ed
My buddy over there helped a guy do that. Wouldn't it be crazy if it was you he was helping. I'll have to call him and remind me what caliber. He said it was old school dope for click data and I believe they were shooting seagulls to keep them from eating salmon fingerlings. His name is Kyle. Great big guy