Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Coyotes around here have been pretty tite lipped last couple wks. With me being up and out and about almost on a 24hr basis here lately I get to watch and listen alot. Last ones I heard were about a week ago in the middle of the night but could tell it was probably only a pair and their calls/series were pretty short and only heard it once. We will have fawns on the ground before the end of the month and hope to be able to catch/get a couple more before then.

74honker , I am pretty sure that we all can understand you posting them all at once . All though I my self have never worked 16 hour days and nights lol . I did find out one time that if you get an hourly rate of pay and put in 80 hour weeks you only end up with a couple of dollars extra the rest goes to the changed tax rate . Be careful out there our minds don't function as fast as normal running on little sleep . I went 4 days without sleep and was seeing things that weren't real a time or two .

Good on you for helping your buddy! I'll have to try that trick with my new bipod whenever I get time to have some fun lol.
I hope it works for you. I'm sure there's some small things I've left out as I was watching him and trying to pick out problems. This bench was pretty smooth and I was watching the feet when I was getting it zeroed for him and trying to figure out what I was doing so I could tell him what to work on. Hopefully this El NiƱo or whatever it is let's go and gets us all back to somewhat normal

Here the coyote tend not to talk a lot when they have pups that are young . You will hear them telling each other they are coming home with single howls , then when they get together the greeting talk and excited yips and yaps . latter when the pups get around 8 to 10 weeks old they will start doing their sunrise serenades . They tend to answer my howls at this time as long as they aren't challenging howls . If I get too close to the pups they will often just show up and set or lay down to watch me and be able to see the den at the same time , or they will creep out to 400 or 500 yards and start displaying and barking to decoy me away from the pups . I have to respect them for their family values and keeping the pups safe the best that they can . If they can see you , you can see them with practice looking for some thing new or out of place .Often it's just a face with the ear tips sky lined or the outline of a rock solid coyote .

Last edited:
For me it's a personal challenge to have one shot per coyote kill , yes it does take two at times but I pride myself in one shot clean kills . I have had doubles , triples and a quad with one shot per coyote so you learning and helping your friend and relatives get good shot placement rings true to me Neal . Calm and collected till it's done with the shooting then if you want to get excited and shake fine but self talk and visualization while practicing goes a long way toward good shooting skills also .

It's funny how some guys like yourself can spot hidden animals. I don't believe it's all practice. Like some people can see images inside those art doodles and some guys ( myself) just see the art doodles. I believe cutting timber for so many years helped in some ways for hunting but definitely didn't help in others. I feel super clumsy without cork boots on and really have to focus on not just getting from a to b. I bow hunted for a few years and that helped but I still have a lot of friends that are extremely better at hunting than I am. One friend hit me in the head with a piece of bark while I was trying to find/sneak a big buck I had seen. But I help them get they're rifles shooting good and never want for meat or fish so I guess I'm ok with it

Wear your cork boots if they are what you are used to and walk better with them . I liked to wear my wolverine air walk soled boots the only problem I had with them was that if I walked in water they would then make noise while the water squished out of the soles on dry land . Comfort is a big part of hunting , once you get comfortable with knowing what you are doing , walking , looking for ect. it just starts to come naturally . When we humans are tense we have a stronger body odor and animals can smell it . I have been standing beside of people fishing within a few feet of them and catching fish but they didn't catch any , they weren't relaxed so their fields were messed up we all have currents in our bodies that tell our bodies what they need to do in each situation . Like the shark in San Diago zoo that kept bumping the glass . They found that one of the bolts in the aquarium was mild steel and reacting to the sea water , electrolysis's causing a slight electrical current in that one area that it could detect as if it were a prey fish in trouble . Changed the bolt , problem solved . Make yourself as comfortable as you can by wearing what makes you comfortable so then you aren't paying attention to that instead of your surroundings .

Yesterday we were to have rain showers in the morning and windy weather after 10:00 A.M. . It rained all day on and off we got over an inch of rain . We also had winds gusting over 100 mph . The power went out at 12:40 and was off till 8:30 P.M. . I was sure glad it wasn't cold in the 40's here so not bad . It was like when I was a kid and we lived in the mountains during the summer . So I read and did things that didn't require electricity to do , sharpened knives and things like that . I came time to cook supper so my wife and I made meatloaf put it in a roasting pan covered it with foil and cooked it on the grill outside . Like cooking on the wood cook stove as a kid . Some people were in a little panic because no stores were open as well as the restaurants and they couldn't figure out where to get supper with out driving 60 miles to a town that still had power . In my area it wasn't that long ago that a lot of people didn't have electricity and indoor plumbing out on the ranches or up in the mountains and did just fine . Times have changed fast here and some of it for the better . When the power goes out you just look at it like your on a camping trip and enjoy the quiet lemonade out of lemons as they say . All day I kept thinking of the areas that needed the rain more then us but at the same time was glad we were getting it . Prayers for the people in need go out to them and theirs . Dave

One of my hobbies is making knives . I was told that I needed to make at least a 5 gallon bucket of them to figure out what I needed to know about grinding , heat treating them and all the other things that go into doing it . I think that my bucket is about a third full at this time . I enjoy making fixed blade knives with wooden scales but making folding knives is more fun to me . I buy lower priced knives from kershaw and take them apart make a blade from 52-100 bearing steel , 440C or AEB-L stainless steel . As I am still learning I give them to some of the ranchers around here to test them for me . Some of the 52-100 blades were too hard and brittle but I asked and studied on it till I now can heat treat it to make it tough and hold an edge but not be brittle . Some of the stainless steel blades were too soft and wouldn't hold an edge and some of them were so hard they couldn't sharpen them . I studied and asked others now I know to heat treat and then cryo treat them then draw them back at the right temperature and for the length of time to make them hard but not brittle and consistent . As with coyote control it's in the little details that makes the difference in the end results . I'm still working on getting the grind correct for the job the blade is intended to be used for . Hard abusive work knives a thicker blade and grind , kitchen knives that cut fine for meat and vegetables a thinner longer tapper to glide through the cut . Cutting the strings on hay bails takes a hard blade because the material is abrasive so I have found the 52-100 bearing steel ground between a thick and a fine longer tapered blade with a fine stone edge put on it works well .

A few years ago I had a person ask me to help them learn to snare coyote . I was explaining about how I go about cleaning and taking the shine off of my snares before I do much else with them . I build my own snares with 8 feet of 7x7 x3/32 air craft cable and use cam locks on them . So to clean them and dull them down with out damaging the cable for use here I have a 3 gallon galvanized metal bucket that I coil up and put a dozen snares on a piece of 16 gauge wire then cover them with water and put a small box of baking soda in with them and simmer them till they are a nice dull gray color . I then hang them on the cloths line out side till I'm ready to put them to use . So this person then told me well I did some snaring when I was younger and I think it's a bunch of BS to do all of that . I just smiled at them and said you ask me to help you so I was explaining how I do it to you I'm pretty sure I can't help you . Fast foreword to a few weeks ago and they were telling me that the coyote in their area were jumping the fences and that they weren't catching many that they figured someone had made them snare wise . Yup they can be educated by people was all I had to say .