Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Brass is kinda interesting. I read where alpha munitions we're playing with the mixture to grip the chamber. When I was working up loads for my brothers beater gun, a 25-06 vanguard with absolute hammers, he had a hodgepodge of brass so I mixed them up and did 2 shot strings ( ya I know $$!) and found a very clear winner in es/ds with one of the brands. Didn't see any gain in velocity by brand but definitely a clear winner in consistency. I have had good luck with nosler brass. I ran it in my brothers 6.5-284 in Hunter class 600 competition but eventually switched to lapua and didn't notice any difference.

At one time Lapua made brass for Nosler . I like the softness of it and Nosler brass they both are pretty consistent in being annealed . The primer pockets and flash holes are drilled not stamped and they run fairly close in weight . Winchester brass was kind of hard and needed annealed to me before reloading it . Remington was softer but tended to stretch in length quicker . As I'm not shooting competition at the bench I probably don't do as much as a lot of those guys do to my brass or my rifles but I do tend to like an accurate rifle or pistol .

So question, I got to thinking about the pups. Let's say Kyle is able to spot them in a drainage with sage brush and they're far enough out there I'm able to zap one and crazier yet, both. Where/what should I look for to find the den. I'll dig back through the posts to find your snare method

It depends on the adults and the type of terrain they are in . I've found them in the sage brush , in the side of south facing cut banks , in old animal holes and out in the flats just dug down in another animals hole that they have cleaned out , cracks in the rocks . If they are laid up during the day time they normally will be where if you watch them for awhile before you shoot you will see them look at the den hole and when you do shoot one go to where it was laying get down to their eye level and often you will see the den hole and if you were quiet going in you may even see pups out of the hole playing . The grass will be mashed down by this time of the year around the hole from the pups being out playing and you will see puppy crap laying around and if you have a fairly good sense of smell you will smell them . Coyote dens tend to be cleaner then fox dens . Fox dens most times have a lot of dead things laying around them but coyote dens don't as a rule . But they still smell like a bunch of puppies and their crap . It won't be long now till early in the morning the pups and adults will be doing the sunrise serenade and if it's been an hour or so after they howled they will answer you howling or a siren but if you run a siren don't run it too long a minute or a little less and wear hearing protection they will howl back and let you know where they are and I have had adults come in towards the siren . but if you use the siren it's pretty hard to call then after wards till the next day . It is a way to locate them and then stalk them at times but set and wait to see if they show up to it for 20 to 30 minutes then go looking for them . They often will go to a high spot before they howl at the siren and it takes time for them to calm down if they don't come to it . As a last resort if you have killed the adults you can get the pups to howl by using a puppy in destress call real loud they will answer it by howling but you want to wait for them to go back to the den hole if you use that as they tend to want to scatter from that sound with out their parents . Tracking is my preferred method of locating the den as I walk quietly and then can get back aways and call the adults to me back away from the den then go in and take the den . As I have said before if you are too close to the den and this time of the year at 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning and you howl the adults will often slip out to 400 or 500 yards and display giving short howls and barking to try and get you to follow them away from the pups . That's just a quick over view but a good starting place and a lot to keep in mind during the excitement of the moment . Writing it down helps me to remember things so when I think I want to get excited I can keep my self calm .

I'm tec-challenged and learned to take notes in school so that's what I do and the way I do so it sticks in my mind better as that's the way I trained it to work . Coyotes and hunting or calling them is so complex as they are so complex . That's only one of the reasons that I did it for so long . Just being out and watching other animals was another large factor in my doing it and if I had to say they were a tie as to the first and best reason I did it .

It will be interesting to see how it goes. It does sound like the coyotes need to be thinned out and I'd imagine they're pretty savvy but Kyle says if they're out there a long ways they don't seem too concerned. I've done some shooting over there with Kyle and did load work and click data on his hunting rifle and he's wanting me to come over and I'll do my best. I'll use your advice the best I can and re read through the thread and try to pick out what might help and just know that by sharing your knowledge it might help a few farmers and lots of other animals

Did this yesterday though

Attachments

• 85C01B5D-8A48-49A5-9B79-C0F852C96A15.jpeg
    85C01B5D-8A48-49A5-9B79-C0F852C96A15.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 18C40B7E-D7CC-443F-BAD2-ADF9E66A519F.jpeg
    18C40B7E-D7CC-443F-BAD2-ADF9E66A519F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
I was just sawing cants that he can fit in his bandsaw mill. Still some left, I'll probably cut a few live edge he can sell or whatever. Back is sore lol.going shooting tomorrow with a friend that has Parkinson's. Trying to get ready for eastern Washington and will be his first time shooting anything past 200. Will be a good day

Sounding like a goose is a start you will experiment with how hard you blow on them , how far you put them into your mouth and the amount of pressure you put on the read as well as to how quickly you start and stop the air flow . Barks are about half of the reed in your lips with fairly good amount of pressure on the reed and a quick puff of air . Howls are about the same amount of reed but less volume of air and over a longer period of time . rabbit sounds are you say wah wah while blowing with longer breaths of air not the quick puffs of a bark start with your hand that is holding the call closed put the call in the web between your thumb and index finger don't make a fist just loosely close your hand and as you blow open your hand . To make a hurt coyote put only about a third of the reed in your mouth and use your lips or front teeth to put more pressure on the reed to make it a higher pitched sound . You learn to control the pitch with the amount of reed in your mouth and the amount of pressure you put on the reed as well as how fast you exhale . Hand held calls are fun and not hard to learn to use most people blow too hard at first and put too much of the reed into their mouths as well as not getting the right amount of pressure on the reed too much or not enough . Being people we tend to over complicate things at first . I know I did . For my howls I hold the call in both of my hands and have a longer gap between the two of them not a closed had then open them as I make my howls that way I can change the pitch of the howl . I quiver my throat as I do this to make my howls sound more like a coyotes voice but that sir comes with time just keep it simple for now and soon you will have the basic sounds down and the coyote and other critters paying attention to you .

So many people just buy an e-call at first but when you learn to use a hand held call there is just something about it that you don't feel with the e-calls . It's a well dang I did that for myself kind of self satisfaction thing . You get satisfaction from learning to correctly use an e-call also it's just not the same feeling you get from a hand held call . At least that's in my case but then there were not any e-callers when I started lol .