Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

74 honker is right bait piles or stations don't work here as well as finding where they have found something on their own , a dead cow or horse that hasn't been messed with by humans . At times you will see them where they will find an elk or deer that died and wasn't recovered during hunting season but in this state you aren't supposed to use any part of game animals for baiting . They will lay up during the day often on the down wind side of a hill or at the bottom of a cut bank glassing and finding them laid up . The winter time is the most known for them to lay and sun out of the wind but they do during the rest of the year as well it's an art to learn to see them .

I got a call one summer near the first of July to come and see if I could get an old coyote that they had taken her mate and pups but she was still crossing the highway and taking lambs . I went out and confirmed that she was indeed doing just that and returning to some deep draws with a lot of juniper trees in them . She wouldn't answer to howls or come to calls . She was showing up to the calls but she was just setting out at long ranges and watching and hadn't been seen as she just sat and watched from around 500 yards . I tried my hand at calling her and got to see her sitting there and watching for 20 or 30 minutes on the first day I only had my 223 so just watched her and observed where she came from and where she went back to . The next day was a little different as I knew she was watching from a distance so I brought my old 30-06 winchester with a fixed 12 power scope on it running 125 grain winchester factory loads . She did the same thing and sat down at almost the same place never to go home again . She was old with worn teeth and had probably been called more then once and being by herself now was extremely cautious . They would have been able to shoot her at that range had they seen her but they just hadn't seen her . Laser ranged at 640 yards from the stand to where she was setting .

It gets really tough to see through the mirage over there past 600 starting pretty early in the am and the wind never quits. I recently switched from 245 bergers to 212 Hornady's and will have to do some long range paper over there to see if they're holding together. The bergers are just too hard to find but they shot extremely good at distance

What are you doing to help you with the mirage Neal ? Scope shades and cover on your barrel ? What power are you running for your scope ?
640 yards with a 30-06 with factory ammunition is a dang good shot. Well, when I've shot over there, I just use the part that screws onto the scope. I'm using a vortex gen 2 4.5-27 on the rifle ( 300 prc) I'll be using. I'll probably bring a 6.5-300 as well. My buddy was supposed to be bringing his 30-378 but he sent it in to get a custom chassis built and it's not back yet. I will probably bring my 22 creedmoor too just in case there's a quick close one and I'm pretty quick/ good with it. Trust me when I say I don't have a clue but Kyle has freaky eyesight and I'm stupid lucky ( not skilled) at long shots in crappy conditions so I really think there will be a few less coyotes. Definitely open to any and all suggestions. I just ordered the call this am and I'm going to hang onto it so Kyle doesn't start killing them before I make it over there ha ha( just kidding)

I stopped guiding people 40 years ago . I'm not good at it but I may be getting more patient then I was back then . The last guy I guided was a real trip . He had a Redfield quick detach scope mount I got him on a nice antelope buck at 200 yards and when I looked over at him he had his scope in one hand and the rifle in the other . I got his scope and rifle put back together and then resighted . I got him on another nice buck but he couldn't shoot it as he had to take a dump instead . I put him on a third buck he got excited and couldn't hit it . I took him back to camp at the end of the day told the owner I wasn't good at guiding people and went home . I took some younger guys out with me coyote calling and got a coyote in standing out at less then 100 yards facing us they wouldn't shoot it as they couldn't believe you could actually do that but that was all fun and their father in law shot it they learned a lot from it and that's what it was about . I do go hunting with others but not as their guide as hunting friends , every thing I do is pretty much written down here and in the tips for hunting coyote site , I think that just visiting with fellow hunters is about as good as it gets and then let them go out and play with what we have talked over . It's hard to explain the different lengths of calling sounds without actually being able to hear them but just listening to coyote and figuring that part out is the best way to learn that . I like to listen to all of the animals when they talk to each other or when they are in trouble as they are better teachers then any person could be because they are the real deal . I actually caught rabbits to hear what they sounded like when they were scared and imitated them you didn't have to hurt them just grab them from a piece of pipe or where they thought they were hidden by the scruff of the neck they will start kicking and screaming . I spent a lot of time listening to deer , antelope hawks and other animals even mice . That's why the e-calls are so popular these days people can make a lot of sounds that are real close to the true animals sounds with out needing to learn how the animal really sounds , and why when I use coyote vocalizations , the e-callers don't have the sounds that I like to use most times because they are a canned sound not about what the situation is at the time and place but I have been told often I'm different then a lot of people . Not really I like to learn different things is all , my priorities are set in a different place and I took the time to let the critters tell me things that I wanted to know . It's my form of entertainment to take the time to listen to the world and what it has to say to me and to watch the animals with out them knowing I'm there so they do as they do with out having outside influences . The only thing missing here is what can be heard , said and ask about when we talk face to face but we make the best of that we can at this time .

I like lower power for less mirage . And use sun shades in two inch increments so I can add or subtract for the conditions , yup they screw onto the scope and each other . A light color cover over the barrel instead of the darker color dissipates the heat waves of the barrel natural and created by firing . I learned with fixed power scopes and really tend to like 10 and under . I have a fixed 12 on my 30-06 as I got it for a good price and it was the only fixed power they had at the time I was putting it together . I like to have a wider field of view at distance then higher power scopes afford but that's me we all learn what does and doesn't work for us and sunshades as well as higher power scopes tend to close down the field of view at distances . My 30-06 isn't an out of the box rifle . The walnut stock didn't like the dry climate here and split from the front action screw forward so it got a McMillen stock the action trued and a good Timney trigger set at 3 lbs. . I also am lucky at shooting .

Get in line!!! 😁

Ed
Ed ,

Looks as though I have the "Earlier Postmark" , but , we are both in line behind nealm66 , since he is the person who suggested that DSheetz should offer "Pro Guided Coyote Hunts" .

Now , if we could only convince Dave to take this "Old-Timer ( me )" on a coyote hunt , or any of the others who have followed DSheetz for the past 2 years on HIS thread , "Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote" .

DMP25-06

I like lower power for less mirage ....... . I learned with fixed power scopes and really tend to like 10 and under . I have a fixed 12 on my 30-06........ . I also am lucky at shooting .
Hello Dave ,

I kinda' edited your post #2108 , because I also like lower-power magnification for my shooting .

Also , there was a Marine in Viet Nam who used a 10x Unertal ( I hope that I spelled that correctly ) scope on his rifle , and M2 Browning .50 cal. machine gun used for sniping , by the name of Carlos Hathcock . It seems that he was also "LUCKY" at shooting .

DMP25-06

I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to guide. I see it more as a high $ clinic ( when I win the lottery!) This is open to criticism, 1 = a class for 2 on calls and whatever you see as necessary for however long it takes @ $300 per day per person until each of the 2 persons has met your requirements and both have to pass so if one is being a pain, it's up to his classmate to get him up to speed. For instance, you show up in the am, give an example and a how to and then leave until both classmates feel they aren't going to fail because that's an extra $100 and possible extra days ha ha! Upon passing every requirement 2 = field class, whatever you see fit. 3 = you show up at clients desired coyote location ( if it suits you) and just observe and critique while client tries to replicate what you have tried to teach . 3 = $1000 per day plus all pre paid expenses. No guarantees, everything in advance. Closed during hunting season and holidays

Carlos Hathcock ( aka white feather ) was an awesome shooter and hunter . The nva put a bounty on him . his career ended by getting burned saving others from a burning troop carrier if I remember right . He died of MS I think . He used a Unertl 10X on a Winchester 30-06 also with a wooden stock and very few modifications running 175 grain bullets . Unertl scopes have to be set back into battery after each shot as they move in the mounts to over come recoil . Captain Whorl also used a Winchester with 175 grain bullets as well as a m14 set up with a starlite gen one scope . We used to take him up river to work and then pick him up in the morning or a day or two . Captain Whorl died of exposer to agent Orange just a few years ago he was a different type of person nice as you would ever want to meet unless you made him mad . He would get very quiet and you would get goose bumps if you were on the receiving end of his now I'm ****ed look . Most of our equipment didn't have manufacture marking on them at that time I don't know if that has changed now or not . But some of it wasn't bought through normal channels some of it was ordered through the exchanges . I still have a few boxes of Twin Cities Ordnance Plant and Lake City 175 grain ammo setting around but I wouldn't shoot any of it . It's old and the powder is probably not very stable as well as it has mercury fulminate primers so is corrosive . It's just for my collection now and I will give it to the Winchester museum some day or maybe the Army Air Corps Museum in Casper some day . My uncle Homer was stationed there to learn to be a tail gunner in the B17'S during WWII .

Neal that's an interesting twist on it lol . I took a guy out for my brother in law one time just to teach him how to tell the distances to things here in our country as he was from back east and wasn't used to our country and it being as open as it is so he tended to think things were farther then they really were . 200 feet seemed like 200 yards to him after a couple of hours he said to me no wonder I couldn't hit any thing I was shooting over them because I thought they were way farther out then they really were . Nobody had thought to teach him how to judge distances here .

Several years ago I was given a case of ammo . It was the yellow box Olen stuff made for Winchester . One of the cases split when I fired it so I contacted Winchester . They ask me to send all of it back to them . They paid the shipping and sent me a new case of 125 grain Winchester ammo that didn't have the corrosive primers . My 30-06 model 70 Winchester likes it but it doesn't like the Remington or Nosler ammo . It does however like it when I reload the Nosler brass better then when I run any other brass through it even when I fire form it with a couple of firings before setting the shoulders back a couple of thousands . It likes the IMR 4350 powder best as well .