Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Yes it is the breeding season for fox and coyote . Do you have any of the female chirps and squeals on your call . Randy Anderson used to have a hand call that made good female in season sounds that work well at this time of the year starting the end part of December and going through March . Primos might have them for sale now as he got in with them . Female coyote have some interesting vocalizations they make when they are looking to mate that will work to call both sexes now , where the male sounds seem not to work for the female and timid younger ones from last year that have survived this long . I noticed that the older female coyote cycled earlier in the season then the younger females thus I would have coyotes pupping starting as early as the first part of April and as late as early June at times . By this time the coyote should star to show breakage on the hips and singing of the guard hairs especially if you have had much snow .

Coyote are like dogs and will set down and lay over a little to the side as they move around it rubs their fur and some will get broken off also if you have any snow and cold weather when they set in it some of the longer guard hairs will freeze into the snow or ice they set on and as they get up it gets pulled out or broken off . The singeing is just as it sounds the tips of the longer guard hairs curl as if they have been exposed to a flame and get brittle they then will break off that happens faster when they are on snow cover with bright sun shine reflecting from it .

Last edited:
Hello RAMBLERS ,

It has been a while since I last posted here on "Ramblings" , but I have been reading , and hopefully absorbing all of the information and tips that all of you so freely share .

I have not gotten to do any hunting this season , due to some health issues , SO , I do my hunting vicariously through reading all of your posts here on this thread , as well as other threads on LRH.com.

Now , for the important question that I have for any and ALL of you :
Have any of you heard from Reemty J ?
I have not seen any posts anywhere on LRH since his last post here on "Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyotes" , which was dated October 22 , 2021. He was a major contributor to "Ramblings".

Reemty J also had started a post about the new McWhorter 7mmSTW rifle that he had bought , and was looking forward to using this past season . I think that his last post there was in September .

I hope that every one of you and your Families are well , and that you had a Merry Christmas .
Hopefully , we will all have a better New Year in 2022 .

DMP25-06

It's breeding season again for the fox and coyote in my part of the world . This is the time when I loved to use my howlers the most . Sometimes I liked to get them to talk to me by using interrogation calls or just one long howl . Sometimes I would just let them talk on their own then answer them with the same things they were saying . The thing with letting them talk first is then you know for sure where their area is before you try to call them . When they have set up an area that they call home they don't want any other coyote to come into it and that is going to be happening before long and has most likely started for some of them by now . Even the red fox are vocal at this time of the year a lot of people that I've talked to didn't know that the little red fox made any sounds as they had never heard one or they didn't realize that it was a fox when they did . I went up on the mountain one year in the early part of my career and was calling coyote from a large rock pile on the edge of a pasture across the pasture and into another large pasture with a lot of deep draws and some timber on top of a large ridge . It was nearly April and I knew that there were coyote in the other pasture as I had heard them talking a few days earlier . I had taken a pair out of the pasture that I was in the day before . I let out a few series of the interrogation howls when they answered me then went quiet . I had figured out when they stopped talking they most times were coming so I stopped calling and watched for them to come . What I didn't count on was that they hadn't figured out that the other pair was gone . They came to the edge of their area stood barking , marking the boundry line making kick backs and in general being pretty upset at the offending coyote that had dared to challenge them . I knew that they weren't coming any closer and that they wouldn't be gotten that day so I just sat and watched the show giving them a few barks and short howls for awhile . I let them settle down and leave before I left . A couple of days latter I went back entered their area from another direction , made sure that I was in their area quite a ways and gave them a few challenge howls and barks and was up on the top of the ridge but down off of the sky line . They responded well , both came on the run I dropped the bigger of the two then hit my howler with the hurt coyote yipes she stopped broad side and fell , she still had five pups in her . It was another chance for me to learn from the coyote .

Years ago when I was studying to get licensed to use M44's for control work , I read a study done by the University of Southern California's Ag. department , in the 60's ,where they found a female coyote raising pups by herself . She didn't have her mate or a helper but the most interesting part of it was that she was totally blind . They are survivors and don't understand being impaired . They just live their lives the best that they can .

This morning I was reading about people using the powered decoys . I find it interesting how things have advanced over the years . when I started calling there weren't even e-calls . A couple of people had battery powered 45 rpm record players that they used with recordings of coyote or rabbits , then came the cassette tape players and then the electronic calls with remote controlled motion decoys . Back in the early 80's I got to thinking about trapping bobcats with the use of flags so figured that I would try that when calling . At my trap sets I would use three wires made into kind of a chain so that the slightest breeze would make it move . I used cotton balls or a small strip of cloth fastened to it so as to avoid birds from being attracted to it . So then I attached the same rig to an arrow shaft on the knock with out the fletching kept a field point on it . Before long I put a feather of a turkey or chicken on it . Then I advanced to using monofilament fishing line with a swivel in the line so it moved around better . When you are raising a family and on a tight budget you figure out how to do things at a lower cost . these decoys worked good for the most part what they were used for was to get the animals attention off of where I was as using hand calls tells them real close where you are as that's where the sound comes from . I eventually ended up tanning a coyote and making a decoy out of it with rods coming out of the feet so I could stick them in the dirt or snow and keep it standing upright . You had to shoot the coyote before they killed your decoy as I found out . Even with the coyote standing still they would lock in on it . I've had a lot of enjoyable experiences out there with the coyote and other animals and even when I made mistakes it was a chance to learn from the best teachers to be found the ones you were trying to hunt .

I'm a new old hand at this Coyote calling, and I just picked up one of those yote decoys. Can't hurt right?
Haven't used it up at the cabin yet.
But I set it up in the back of my property since my dog was sleeping during the afternoon (typical dog). Well, I come back and rousted her telling her- Hey let's go have fun, meaning well we aren't hunting ducks today so let's go fetch something. She moseys behind me all excited as I have a bumper in hand and she is ready to fetch it up. Well we get to the backside of the barn and she spots the intruder, and there's no stopping her. She hits that decoy like a freight train all 96 pounds of her. Both are a** over tea kettle and it isn't fighting back but she can't get a good hold of it and finally grabs it by the tail and away she goes flinging it like there's no tomorrow. I called her off as I sure didn't need to be fixing it before actually using it.
I wish I had my camera phone out.

Now that's just plain funny dogs are a lot of enjoyment aren't they . My last coyote dog was named Buckwheat when he was 14 we were out in August . I howled and had about 6 pups answer me . Buckwheat came back up the hill to me stopped by my side and looked at me as if to say you've got to be kidding me right . He then went and got in the back of the truck . He retired that day but still went out with me just had , had enough of decoying coyote and working them at calling stands . He would set beside me and at times bark at the coyote he just knew he was old enough to not work the younger coyote any longer . He lived another two years and had a good home he earned his keep many times over .

Last edited:
Called in a pair of coyotes both Saturday and Sunday morning with nothing but howls. The pair Saturday morning didn't vocally respond before coming, the pair Sunday morning did.
The neat thing about Saturday morning was the stand was over looking a wide open flat prairie dog infested pasture. I have to get in there in the dark to keep from getting busted. The kid with me was carrying a thermal scanner and once we got set up he scanned and saw the pair about 400 yards out. Said they weren't alert to us. Waited about 20 minutes for shooting light and he was still able to see them about 600 yards out, at which point I could then see them with regular binoc. Did one series of long howls and that was all it took. Killed the mangy female at about 35 yards and killed the male at about 155 yards when he stopped to look back at the coyote fight sound that I had turned on after the first shot.
Saturday we killed 7 and never heard a single howl. Killed 4 more Sunday morning and only the pair that I howled in were vocal. One of the coyotes that we killed Saturday was bad rubbed on the hips.