quickload/wildcat question??

eddybo

My 22-6.5x47 Lapua is finished and I am picking it up tomorrow. I want to start breaking in the barrel and load devolopment, but can find any published data. As usual I turned to QL, but there isnt any data for this round there either.

Can I use 6mm-hott as the selected cartridge and then select the 90gr SMK .224 bullet and get reliable data? I get a message saying the projectile is too small but QL assumes the use of a sabot, but the data seems like it would be w/n the range of reason.

I tried the exact thing with my 6-6.5x47 Lapua and got good data before I relaized that there was already a 6mm version for this case on the program. I get very similar numbers whether I use the 6mm-hott or select the 6.5x47 and just use a 6mm projectile.

Anyone used QL in this manner? Were your predicted results close?

Looking at QL I am considering 37gr RL15 as a start point. Quick Load calculates max as 40+ grains with the 90gr bergers if I choose the 6mm Hott and then use the .22 bullet. Does this sound close? Should I back off this a little more?

oooooh....nevermind. I just checked that load against a 22-250 and it was wayyy over pressure. Talked with a friend who has data and apparently what I was considering is not gonna work at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.