Quickload help needed

I've used Quickload for several years and use to think I was getting reasonable results from the simulation. It seems that after I bought an update to the component files the results I get now are way off.
That is strange.
Had you saved your working loads prior to the update?
It would seem like you could pull up your past 22-250 file, and it would take you back to prior settings/components.

Is that the right barrel and barrel length in prior working order?
Are you touching the lands?

That is strange.
Had you saved your working loads prior to the update?
It would seem like you could pull up your past 22-250 file, and it would take you back to prior settings/components.

Is that the right barrel and barrel length in prior working order?
Are you touching the lands?
I didn't think I could save my work. Seems like I tried to save sims when I first got Quickload and could not figure out a way to save it. I think I have one or two printouts I made during a previous load development. I'll see if I can find that and run it to compare.

I think I'm about 0.035" off the lands at this point although I was having a hard time figuring out when the bullet just touched the lands.

Barrel length is correct as far as I know. However I haven't slid a cleaning rod down to touch the bolt face. Something else to check.

Since ii started this thread I'm wondering if my Magnetospeed is having problems.

I've been using QL now for about 7 yrs. In my experience every detail, no matter how small, concerning your components and rifle load will give you better end results. The more accurate you input the more accurate the output. JME
Please check me on this. I'm measuring the following to use in Quickload:

Cartridge overall length
Bullet length
Bullet weight
Barrel length
Water weight capacity of the fired cases
Fired case length
Powder charge weight to less than 1/10th grain

Is there anything else I should be measuring?

I tried to save sims when I first got Quickload and could not figure out a way to save it.
It's the second icon on the top row. Or go to "File" scroll down and "Save". You definitely want to be saving data or you'll be repeating the entire inputs over and over again.
I think I'm about 0.035" off the lands at this point although I was having a hard time figuring out when the bullet just touched the lands.
832158CA-E593-4B62-B498-9E953BE0D630.jpeg

Full article - https://www.6mmbr.com/quickload.html
Since ii started this thread I'm wondering if my Magnetospeed is having problem
You will know once you are able to push rifle long range. Most apps have correction when dialing up.

Cartridge overall length
Bullet length
Bullet weight
Barrel length
Fired case length

3BA17DBB-C604-44A7-ABBB-DC0B94DBA203.gif

Full article - https://www.6mmbr.com/quickload.html

Cartridge overall length
Bullet length
Bullet weight
Barrel length
Fired case length

Actual velocity then adjust the burn rate Ba to bring the predicted velocity to the actual.

Good luck.

When do you adjust burn rate! We hear all the time that no two powder lots are the same
Oops we were posting at the same time

QL and GRT make predictions based on input data. Every field in the program needs measured data, not just data from the databases. Also, powder models change with powder lots and with each cartridge the powder is used in. As already said, the temperature, Ba must be tailored to your rifle and cartridge and chronograph. I get similar results and Im sure its because I have older lots of powder and this issue creeps up with each upgrade. This is the same reason my actual data differs from my current reloading manuals and I have many. Remember, garbage input, garbage output

I think Shot Start Initiation Pressure and Weighting factor should be tweaked before Burn rate. These two settings should remain relatively constant in your rifle, could change with barrel wear, and will change with a different load. These two are very dependent on your rifle and load. Then Burn rate to finish it, especially when changing lots of powder as that does change.

I think Shot Start Initiation Pressure and Weighting factor should be tweaked before Burn rate. These two settings should remain relatively constant in your rifle, could change with barrel wear, and will change with a different load. These two are very dependent on your rifle and load. Then Burn rate to finish it, especially when changing lots of powder as that does change.
This is true. For example, a standard CC bullet needs a strt pressure in the 3000 psi area and Barnes about 6500 psi. This will vary with rifling, erosion, bullet length, bearing surfaces, bore smoothness. There are NO constants

I don't disagree with this, but I'm not sure how to do that. I have been adjusting the burn rate because I know powder lot burn rates can vary as much as 10% lot to lot. I'm not adjusting so much lot to lot (although I certainly do that when changing lots) but I believe my adjustment is from the burn rate of the lot I am using to whatever is assumed in QuickLOAD. I would appreciate some education if this is not the best way to do this. Unfortunately, the QuickLOAD user manual is useless.

Edited to add: I see where the shot start initiation pressure comes from. Hover over the box and there it is. I learned something today. Not sure where weighing factor comes from.

I too have noticed significantly higher velocities versus predictions following the last update to the point where I no longer trust the pressure estimates until I have run loads over the chronograph. I seem to remember the original developer of QuickLOAD had health issues or may even have died. I wonder if whoever is doing the updates now is using different sources for the powder burn rate assumptions.

Edited to add: I am shooting all-copper bullets and not adjusting shot start initiation pressure. That may well be the source of the higher-than-predicted velocities. Thank you Seabeeken for the education.

I always thought the ability to update powder burn rate assumptions based on actual velocities reported by users in Gordon's Reloading Tool would be a major advantage. Unfortunately, Gordon is no longer with us, and actual velocities are no longer being input into the model.

Last edited:
It would be so easy if we had an accurate way to measure pressure, but that is not the case for most reloaders. Quickload does, or at least has done a good job of giving us a tool to evaluate different powders quickly and see if they will do what we want. In general terms this works very well in my experience.

Then we work up the load from a predicted safe starting point to where we decide to stop for whatever reason. I believe all the rounds we fire doing this should be chrono'd. speed. Noting and looking for signs of pressure on every case and in every firing, ie. primer forming, bolt lift, ejector marks, etc.

At this point did Quickload make correct predictions or not? We have to tweak the user definable entries and true the software to actual conditions and performance to the best of our ability to read pressure signs. Then fire more rounds across the crono and confirm the readings. After success in that we should try our original work up loads and see how well Quickload tracks. It would be nice if it worked out, however if it didn't, do we go on chasing the software, or just shoot the loaf we decided on?

Most people think I crono too much, maybe so.
I've said it many times now, I want all the data I can get from the high dollar rounds I fire!

Again, in my case I would like to know the actual pressures these rounds produce, but I'm not going to buy the necessary equipment to make it happen. So, if Quickload gets tweaked or trued to give me accurate predictions, great. If not and the rounds perform the way I want, I am not that concerned about truing Quickload just to satisfy my obsession. I just want to load and shoot consistent, quality ammunition.

Just my thoughts and opinions, maybe it will help. Cheers!

Great discussion. I always learn something.
First, I am a casual user of QuickLoad and I am trying to Learn GRT. Each one has its good points.
QL has not had any software changes in over a decade. The last one was to make it run better in Windows. The updates we get are for data (Bullet, powders).
Reading about calibrating on various sites, this is what I gathered, and I am open to learn more:
1. Enter Actual data (Bullet, case, capacities, etc.)
2. Weighing factor for the most part is close. If you want you can caclulate WF=500/(casevolumeto BoreArea Ratio)
3. I always adjust my Tremperature to the actual when shooting.
4. Shot Start (Initiation) Pressure. Unfortunately here we have starting point suggestions for various bullet types, but it is not tied to the bullet selection. We have to update manually. (Learned this today)
5. Burn Rate (Ba). Adjust this to match MV.

Open to comments, suggestions for more or corrections.