Quickload help needed

ShtrRdy

I've used Quickload for several years and use to think I was getting reasonable results from the simulation. It seems that after I bought an update to the component files the results I get now are way off.

Since I've most recently been working with the 22-250 Rem I thought I would load up a few rounds at two different charge weights and measure the velocity with the Magnetospeed. When I got home I measured the water weight capacity of three cases that were fired and measured the case length.

Some of the entries to Quickload are:

22-250 Remington
COAL = 2.457"
Bullet length = 0.870" ( Hornady 60 gr V-max)
Barrel Length = 23.622" (Tikka 600mm)
Fired case H20 capacity = 45.9 grain
Fired case length = 1.910"
Powder used = Hodgdon Varget

For starters, the measured velocity is 184 fps faster than the simulated velocity when using 34.0 grain of Varget. When using 35.0 gr Varget the measured velocity is 167 fps faster than the simulated velocity.

Simulated Measured difference
34 gr Varget 3295 fps 3479 fps 184 fps
35 gr Varget 3383 fps 3550 fps 167 fps

The following is a screen shot of the simulation while the weighting factor is nominal = 0.5
22_250_meas_param_nominal_weighting.JPG

I tried changing the Weighting Value and am comfused as to what I am seeing. When I increase the Weighting Value the peak pressure goes up but the muzzle velocity goes down.
22_250_meas_param_increase_weighting.JPG

If someone has some spare time would you mind running a simulation on your version of Quickload to see if it comes up with the same answer? My version of Quickload is v3.6 and using the Data Update from July 2021.

You may need to reload all your numbers are different then mine. 🤔

Attachments

• 4F9C1A4C-4152-46E8-8BA2-3A2EB78313B4.jpeg
    4F9C1A4C-4152-46E8-8BA2-3A2EB78313B4.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 72
First I would adjust the temperature to actual
Second I would adjust Ba to match MV
But I am a casual user....

Are you guy's entering numbers for the bullet, selecting the bullet from the bullet file? It seems that could make a difference.
I choose the bullet from the library, then change the bullet length number to match the bullets I have.

My next suggestion is adjusting the shot start initiation factor till the velocity works out.
Are you referring to the shot start pressure?

I choose the bullet from the library, then change the bullet length number to match the bullets I have.

Are you referring to the shot start pressure?
Yes, I find that to be helpful, and it is something that can be very different with different guns using the same ammo due to rifling, jump, twist and dimensional differences. I try to compare the fired cases to the predicted pressures too. Velocity is tied to pressure and when you can see cases that look close to what you expect, and have the Velocity agreeing with you crono you are close. I measure Velocity alot looking for changes and gathering all the data I can, once I get things looking right in QL I find it to track closely with load changes.

Yes, I find that to be helpful, and it is something that can be very different with different guns using the same ammo due to rifling, jump, twist and dimensional differences. I try to compare the fired cases to the predicted pressures too. Velocity is tied to pressure and when you can see cases that look close to what you expect, and have the Velocity agreeing with you crono you are close. I measure Velocity alot looking for changes and gathering all the data I can, once I get things looking right in QL I find it to track closely with load changes.
When you say bullet length, do you mean the projectile length, or cartridge over al length? I never change the bullet length to something different than what the bullet file suggests. If you do measure your bullet lengths chances are you will find surprising variances with hollow points, even Berger match bullets. Ballistic tips are probably better, but I would go with the suggested lengths in the file.

When you say bullet length, do you mean the projectile length, or cartridge over al length? I never change the bullet length to something different than what the bullet file suggests. If you do measure your bullet lengths chances are you will find surprising variances with hollow points, even Berger match bullets. Ballistic tips are probably better, but I would go with the suggested lengths in the file.
I measure several of the bullets from bullet base to tip. That is separate from measuring the length of the overall cartridge.

With bullet length and cartridge length, Quickload can then calculate the interior volume of the case.

I measure several of the bullets from bullet base to tip. That is separate from measuring the length of the overall cartridge.

With bullet length and cartridge length, Quickload can then calculate the interior volume of the case.
If you select the bullet you are using from their bullet file they know the advertised length and fill it in. They also know the other dimensions of the bullet that determine the case volume the bullet takes up, like the boat tail or base configuration and distance from the base to the bearing surface of the listed manufacturer's bullet. These are the dimensions that determine how much volume the bullet occupies from the case mouth, into the case. Seating depth is the most accurate dimension for this, but overall cartridge length will then tell them how much volume is being occupied by the bullet too, however bullets overal length vary quite a bit, seating depth should not, so it is the best dimension to use. It doesn't matter how long the bullet is, only how much of it is seated into the case to get that information.

I've been using QL now for about 7 yrs. In my experience every detail, no matter how small, concerning your components and rifle load will give you better end results. The more accurate you input the more accurate the output. JME

Last edited: