QuickLoad for a 280 AI

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Just wondering if I could get someone to run this cartridge w/the 200 gr Wildcat w/H1000 and Retumbo. I'm just looking for a safe place to start :).

Bill:

All the usual disclaimers.:):D:) You might have to get up and jump on the powder charge to get enough in there. Check out the fill % and the pressures. This would change with different barrel length, COAL etc. etc.
ScreenHunter_01Jul2410.15.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Jul2410.15.jpg

You can usually get somebody to run an occasional load for you on here.;)

The best thing is to go here and buy it. You'll be a happy reloader if you have it.:) You can play all sorts of "what if" games with it. If you buy it just be sure to read and understand the disclaimers/variables that apply.
http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Wow!!! That was fast and thorough. Looks like I need to go reach into Lerch's back pocket and steal half the cost of that program. I think we may need it!!!

Thanks a million Dick!!!!!!

Bill:

If you need it broken down more for each powder let me know and I can do that easy enough. It would just give you a wide ranges of charges and the results for each powder.

I think that should get me where I need to be. Kinda funny looking @ that and thinking that Hodgdon lists 56 gr H4831 as their max for a 175 gr bullet!! I've shot up to 62 gr under a 176 gr Cauterucio and only the 62 gr load made me feel a little uncomfortable. The only load w/that bullet I found that would shoot was 56 gr. It is only shooting 2700 fps though :(. I use CCI BR2 primers and you can still see the "B" on the primer after firing.

I think I'll start w/H1000 and the 200 gr and see what happens!!

Bill,

If you can get some you may want to give Ramshot Magnum a try. I have been pretty impressed with this powder. Your limited on case capacity and a ball powder will get you more grains per volume then any stick powder. Magnum is similiar to RL-25 and Retumbo in burn rate and has been pretty good with temp changes as well, espeically for a ball powder.

It is a dramatic improvement over old ball powders. Easy to ignite as well, in fact Ramshot recommends using only standard primers, no magnums.

Load density will be more comfortable then a stick powder so there will be no powder fracturing when seating the bullets which can increase powder burn rate. If it were me I would try Ramshot again, if you can get it. I have a feeling you can get your hands on pretty much anything!!!

Just my opinion, let us know if you get that mid 7mm shooting well with that bullet. Hey, better yet, start hounding Richard for that aluminum tipped 7mm bullet!!!:D

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the site.I'll look at it but i'm only loading for one calaber right now so not wanting to spend a whole lot right yet.

THANKS again.

Just a little update:

I've settled on a load of 60.5 gr H1000. Right now it's seated at the lands but I'm going to try and tweak it a little. Only chronoed 4 shots but they registered @ 2696 fps for the low and 2704 fps for the high. Shot about .5 MOA at 400 yds so it shows a little promise.

Bill:

Glad to hear you found something it likes.:)

.5 moa at 400 isn't too shabby.:) You might have to get Steve to launch a few downrange with it and see what it can really do.:);):)

Yeah, I need to write up a story on the Swaro pd shoot in WY. There was a certain canine that probably wasn't too proud of Kirby's work!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.