Dies for 280 AI

jrg_80

I've finally gotten enough brass to start working on reloads for my 280AI, but I need to know what is needed to get me started. I've got the RCBS system, but what do I need in regards to dies?

Thanks
jrg

That depends on whether or not you want to full-length size, or neck-size your brass. I prefer neck-sizing for all my bolt-action rifles. I also use RCBS equipment.

I'nm all ears and willing to listen to the pros and cons of both MudRunner,..... Everything that I have has been shot thru my gun(the same one I'm reloading for) so the brass is "fire formed" to the gun itself, would the full length sizer take it back to factory spec rather than that of my gun? Thanks for your help

jrg

Yes, the neck-sizer dies only reform the neck. They keep the shoulder and base the size of your chamber, for improved accuracy.

Full-length sizer dies resize the base, shoulder, and neck to factory spec, and they will not be fire-formed anymore.

Which is why I prefer neck-sizer dies.

I'nm all ears and willing to listen to the pros and cons of both MudRunner,..... Everything that I have has been shot thru my gun(the same one I'm reloading for) so the brass is "fire formed" to the gun itself, would the full length sizer take it back to factory spec rather than that of my gun? Thanks for your help

jrg

I'm a fan of neck dies but you will also need to full length size as neck sized cases become harder to chamber.

Ive got a couple 280AI rifles. I tried the RCBS fl die set for a while then moved onto Redding 3 die set with the neck and FL sizing die. I anneal every other firing so the brass never gets too tight in the chamber. When it does I use a head space gauge and bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths with the FL sizing die

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.