Quick 7mm-08, 150gn, Varget question

D

Deleted member 107796

Anybody out there flopping more than 42.0 grains Varget for a 150gn bullet of any sort?
If so, what rifle and what approx. velocity are you getting? Thanks

I've worked up to 44.5 gr of Varget in my Browning BBR with a 8.5 twist 26" J C Custom barrel using the 150 gr Sierra match king. I never tested the load for velocity but had no pressure signs. I do however consider this a max load in my rifle using pressure ring measurement. This data was developed at about 50 deg F.

I have always loaded 42 grs of Varget with 140 AB, in my custom, Douglas 20" barrel, but never chronyed it . This is a very accurate load.

Thanks guys. I just ended up with a cloud of maximum load values for the 150gn and wanted a few opinions.

I have always loaded 42 grs of Varget with 140 AB, in my custom, Douglas 20" barrel, but never chronyed it . This is a very accurate load.

Thanks, This post changed my 140gn test loads to include 42.0 (I was at 41.7). I got some 140gn VLD-Hunting Boogers on the way!

My first magnum was a 7mm WSM and soon I started looking into the 308Win and 7mm-08 as similar short and stubby performers. My Tikka T3 in 308 shoots anything 150gn extremely well and I suspect the 7mm-08 will do the same.

I have had three 7mm/08's and still have 2. The 145 gr Speer, 145 Barnes LRX and the 139 Hornady GMX have been good bullets in all my 7mm/08's when pushed with max loads of WW760/H-414 and a mag primer. All bullets gave me appx 2925 ft/sec with my 24" barrel and close to 3000 ft/sec from my 26" barrel.

I've gone 3-4 grains over book max in my rifle with RL15 using Winchester brass. Other brands may not have as much capacity, especially Federal. I ran one test using the same load of RL15 behind a 150 grain ELD-X and the Federal brass was giving me +100 FPS compared to the Winchester. So I guess my advice would be that you should work up loads as usual for your particular rifle but don't be afraid to run your pressure tests beyond the published max loads. Particularly if you're using Winchester brass.

I seat long and have gone as high as 43.5 with 150 grain Nosler BTs. Beyond 42 grains, accuracy took a nosedive in my 7-08s. Off the top of my head, I think the accuracy node was in the 39-40 grain range @ ~2600fps with Varget.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.