Another 7mm-08 Question

I will second Big Game being pretty awesome with 140s. Fine tuning in the 45 grain range will net over 2800+fps and shoots bugholes with the 140AB and VLDs in my rifles.

Edit: Adding that is with Lapua brass (lower case capacity than others)

Last edited:
I played with some 120 bt, and 47.5 grains cfe223. Very accurate, have headroom to go, can go to about 49 grains. I've been skirting around this bullet, decided to try it for a groundhog load. Very impressed. And they will smoke whitetail too! Groups are less then .5. Every time!🦌

Got my Win M70 Fwt 7-08 about 12 years ago. Immediately put together 139 SST and H414. Didn't shoot. So, I thought: "If it won't shoot Sierras, it won't shoot." Bought some 140 SPHs. Saw another post on finicky 7-08, and this guy's problem was fixed with Varget. Put that under the Sierras and it shot 1/2 MOA. I'm done! Shot like clockwork. Zero never changed. Then, last year, I got antsy after reading about how awesome Big Game is. Thought I'd try with some 140 NPTs as I wanted to bring it along as a backup on an elk trip. Shot so poorly I told my buddy at the range that the scope was toast. I mean the sucker was possessed. But, before we left, I shot my 140 SPH/Varget combo. Sub-MOA immediately. I think it's trying to tell me something.

Got my Win M70 Fwt 7-08 about 12 years ago. Immediately put together 139 SST and H414. Didn't shoot. So, I thought: "If it won't shoot Sierras, it won't shoot." Bought some 140 SPHs. Saw another post on finicky 7-08, and this guy's problem was fixed with Varget. Put that under the Sierras and it shot 1/2 MOA. I'm done! Shot like clockwork. Zero never changed. Then, last year, I got antsy after reading about how awesome Big Game is. Thought I'd try with some 140 NPTs as I wanted to bring it along as a backup on an elk trip. Shot so poorly I told my buddy at the range that the scope was toast. I mean the sucker was possessed. But, before we left, I shot my 140 SPH/Varget combo. Sub-MOA immediately. I think it's trying to tell me something.
Fremont, I have that problem with 139 Hornady interlocks. I love that bullet, but my Bergara won't shoot them to save its life. It sprays them! But she'll shoot any Nosler product, and Sierra's too. Some guns have female Gene's! I'm sure of it!🤣

Lot of good info in this thread, I've stuck with the 4350's so far (IMR/H) due to accuracy, IMR4064 was real close however with more case room. Another 7mm-08 barrel for a heavier model 12 Low Profile varmint rifle is due to arrive Monday and this whole load work-up thing will start again with a longer barrel rig :) My 20" barreled 7mm-08 is pretty much staying at 1/2" and that's not a bad thing, I'm just an accuracy freak and would like to see better. New gun will sport Criterion and we'll see............

Lot of good info in this thread, I've stuck with the 4350's so far (IMR/H) due to accuracy, IMR4064 was real close however with more case room. Another 7mm-08 barrel for a heavier model 12 Low Profile varmint rifle is due to arrive Monday and this whole load work-up thing will start again with a longer barrel rig :) My 20" barreled 7mm-08 is pretty much staying at 1/2" and that's not a bad thing, I'm just an accuracy freak and would like to see better. New gun will sport Criterion and we'll see............
Dave, can't wait till you get you're new barrel. That thing is gonna be a beast, I'm sure! You've paid your dues, now it's your turn! Keep us posted!
Be safe!

Recent Posts