Questions on 6.5 PRC

Your fliers are from over pressure issues. 3250 is extremely fast for a PRC and 26". If you back down to the 3100 - 3150 range where pressures will be in 60-65k vs 70 plus you'll probably see those fliers go away.
I started light but had less flyers at this load. Primers are just slightly flattening and they all eject nicely.

1.7 over hornady with hornady brass. If you are running heavy brass like adg that's a hefty charge. No wonder you're getting those speeds. Good luck man, sounds like one of this Unicorn barrels we all dream of. My 6.5-284 proof is sort of a unicorn. 53 gr rl26, 3015, 28". It shoots well and for a light charge it runs strong.

1.7 over hornady with hornady brass. If you are running heavy brass like adg that's a hefty charge. No wonder you're getting those speeds. Good luck man, sounds like one of this Unicorn barrels we all dream of. My 6.5-284 proof is sort of a unicorn. 53 gr rl26, 3015, 28". It shoots well and for a light charge it runs strong.
I have a Cooper rifle chambered in the 6.5-284 I picked up several years ago that is just a pleasure to shoot. It isn't to picky about what I feed it. Have not tried the RL 26 in it yet. Am shooting 54 gr of H4831 SC at 2899 fps with a 140 gr Berger. 1/4" groups. Really don't think I need to mess with that but might have to try the RL26 one of these days.

I have a Cooper rifle chambered in the 6.5-284 I picked up several years ago that is just a pleasure to shoot. It isn't to picky about what I feed it. Have not tried the RL 26 in it yet. Am shooting 54 gr of H4831 SC at 2899 fps with a 140 gr Berger. 1/4" groups. Really don't think I need to mess with that but might have to try the RL26 one of these days.
Sorry I didn't say what bullet, that's a 147. 140 eld and vld was 3100. I have had 7 6.5-284's and all shot well but that proof just runs a little better than the others. My schneider barrel is not too far off, but it's 28.5". I went to the prc for a short action and shorter barrel set up and suppressor use.

I tried this load few days ago in 6.5 PRC. 24 in. barrel. 54.0 grains shot almost as good. 53.5 and 54.5 were opened up ? Have a Cooper in 6.5x284 I'm getting ready to reload for. I'm thinking of your RL26 load. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200513_124330107.jpg
    IMG_20200513_124330107.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
I tried this load few days ago in 6.5 PRC. 24 in. barrel. 54.0 grains shot almost as good. 53.5 and 54.5 were opened up ? Have a Cooper in 6.5x284 I'm getting ready to reload for. I'm thinking of your RL26 load. Thanks
Just be sure and start low and work up. Mine is a hot load but it works in my rifle. Not all created the same as I am sure you know. Good luck finding the RL 26 if you don't already have some.

Should have looked at the picture first before I responded. Looks like you already have some RL 26. That is some good shooting.

I just purchased a Ridgeline yesterday. How's your accuracy?
Congrats on what should be a great rifle! Accuracy is pretty good (understatement) with the 142 ABLR and 156 EOL I've tested, with the 142 being a bit better on paper. Something to look out for, in my rifle at least, I had to neck turn cases down to .12". Watch for a tight chamber in yours...seems to be a fairly common issue, along with dies not properly full length resizing.
Regarding accuracy though, photo is of the final load I went with (hot load, don't start here of course):
142 ABLR - 56.8gr RL26 - 3083fps - single digit ES/SD - Bertram brass, neck turned, weight sorted, annealed, light crimp

Attachments

• 142 ABLR (PRC).jpg
    142 ABLR (PRC).jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 88
Should have looked at the picture first before I responded. Looks like you already have some RL 26. That is some good shooting.
Was the first handload I tried. Shot some 124 hammers with H1000 that shot good also. I can't remember without looking but think I started at 54.0 grains up to 58.0 grs.

Congrats on what should be a great rifle! Accuracy is pretty good (understatement) with the 142 ABLR and 156 EOL I've tested, with the 142 being a bit better on paper. Something to look out for, in my rifle at least, I had to neck turn cases down to .12". Watch for a tight chamber in yours...seems to be a fairly common issue, along with dies not properly full length resizing.
Regarding accuracy though, photo is of the final load I went with (hot load, don't start here of course):
142 ABLR - 56.8gr RL26 - 3083fps - single digit ES/SD - Bertram brass, neck turned, weight sorted, annealed, light crimp
Was that 3 shots ? Dang good. If you tell me 5 I'm going to fall off the toilet .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.