Questions for the Chassis Gang

How long before you realized it wasn't for you?

About two years. That was my first custom build and I basically went down the list of the Precision Rifle Blog looking at what was hot for my first build assuming other people knew more than I did. I looked at the top ranking stuff and then filtered through it based on the features I was looking for and my own shooting style. Built the rifle, it was stupid accurate with factory Hornady loads and easy to shoot at distance. I liked it so much I built lightweight counterpart for it using a Manners EH1 with coyotes, deer, and pigs in mind. Covid struck, factory loaded match grade ammo became unobtanium, and I realized I took the Manners equipped rifle everywhere and never touched the MPA unless I was doing very specific shooting because it was just too heavy. Having no interest in PRS or any other application that may have given it a new purpose I cannibalized the action for a different build. Ultimately it was more of a gradual realization that it wasn't getting any use because it was too heavy/cumbersome, it had a feature set designed for PRS which I didn't use, and it wasn't as comfortable for me to shoot and get behind as my Manners.

About two years. That was my first custom build and I basically went down the list of the Precision Rifle Blog looking at what was hot for my first build assuming other people knew more than I did. I looked at the top ranking stuff and then filtered through it based on the features I was looking for and my own shooting style. Built the rifle, it was stupid accurate with factory Hornady loads and easy to shoot at distance. I liked it so much I built lightweight counterpart for it using a Manners EH1 with coyotes, deer, and pigs in mind. Covid struck, factory loaded match grade ammo became unobtanium, and I realized I took the Manners equipped rifle everywhere and never touched the MPA unless I was doing very specific shooting because it was just too heavy. Having no interest in PRS or any other application that may have given it a new purpose I cannibalized the action for a different build. Ultimately it was more of a gradual realization that it wasn't getting any use because it was too heavy/cumbersome, it had a feature set designed for PRS which I didn't use, and it wasn't as comfortable for me to shoot and get behind as my Manners.
Maybe you and @dogbuster0006 are right in that it is just the wrong tool for the job. Perhaps if the features on the chassis actually performed beyond a stock in my situation the advantages would win out. I guess the fact that we all have different wants helps employ a lot of people!

Krg bravo works for me.

Curious what action you are running with yours? I recently sold mine which was the rimfire version for a CZ457. There was this obnoxious gap behind the trigger guard where the rear action screw went in that desperately needed some kind of filler to be comfortable. Drove me nuts lol.

Maybe you and @dogbuster0006 are right in that it is just the wrong tool for the job. Perhaps if the features on the chassis actually performed beyond a stock in my situation the advantages would win out. I guess the fact that we all have different wants helps employ a lot of people!

Truly. Clearly here, even within category there are differences in opinions on what people like from their chassis. If something isn't right for you, then it simply isn't right. Sometimes there are little things that we can tweak or change to solve issues, but sometimes they will forever be present and you just have to take a step back, reevaluate, and move on. What is tough with guns in general is that I personally don't know a lot of people who are that serious or run a variety of set ups. If I want to try something I basically have to buy it for myself sight unseen and hope for the best while learning all the lessons the hard way. I am happy this forum exists so I can at least bounce ideas off other people not just the inside of my skull.

Curious what action you are running with yours? I recently sold mine which was the rimfire version for a CZ457. There was this obnoxious gap behind the trigger guard where the rear action screw went in that desperately needed some kind of filler to be comfortable. Drove me nuts lol.

Truly. Clearly here, even within category there are differences in opinions on what people like from their chassis. If something isn't right for you, then it simply isn't right. Sometimes there are little things that we can tweak or change to solve issues, but sometimes they will forever be present and you just have to take a step back, reevaluate, and move on. What is tough with guns in general is that I personally don't know a lot of people who are that serious or run a variety of set ups. If I want to try something I basically have to buy it for myself sight unseen and hope for the best while learning all the lessons the hard way. I am happy this forum exists so I can at least bounce ideas off other people not just the inside of my skull.
The only reason I would like to find one version to work is simply to use for project rifles. I have a couple Mack Brothers actions that I set up with different Remage barrels. I don't have them in stocks now and while I could get a Manners with a mini chassis and barrel channel to accommodate the heaviest profile that is somewhere north of $1,200 without bottom metal. I just wanted it to work for convenience and economics, but this is probably the wrong hobby for that!

The only reason I would like to find one version to work is simply to use for project rifles. I have a couple Mack Brothers actions that I set up with different Remage barrels. I don't have them in stocks now and while I could get a Manners with a mini chassis and barrel channel to accommodate the heaviest profile that is somewhere north of $1,200 without bottom metal. I just wanted it to work for convenience and economics, but this is probably the wrong hobby for that!

Depending on what version of the mini chassis you are looking at, they include the bottom metal which can offset the price some. I usually get the EH1 Elite Hunter (Gen 2 mini chassis, Proof Sendero profile, SA) from Altus and its sets me back about $1k and is ready to go as is. Plus I don't have to wait for them to be made. They are light weight and pretty much everything I need and nothing I don't.

If you are looking for affordability and performance and want to use BDL type floorplates, the GRS Bifrost and Warg are funky but extremely comfortable and functional. They are often overlooked and sort of like high end polymer stock with the features of a chassis while maintaining more stock like weight. The barrel channels are pretty forgiving if I recall as well.

I liked mine, the Bergara B14 is garbage though, otherwise I would have kept it.

EI1XfRtNovCmMMAl4IcgBoYrA0sYVyDQQ732u1zZ071bmtzBchHgUvJ7F1LQOGt9Dm0ZttXBC62kSn33qTSGZ0uT8bO_LKPax3gksbfhhQfZI7lH_oxRE4hCFZFFq1I2OLpzR6OAlQ=w1200

Depending on what version of the mini chassis you are looking at, they include the bottom metal which can offset the price some. I usually get the EH1 Elite Hunter (Gen 2 mini chassis, Proof Sendero profile, SA) from Altus and its sets me back about $1k and is ready to go as is. Plus I don't have to wait for them to be made. They are light weight and pretty much everything I need and nothing I don't.

If you are looking for affordability and performance and want to use BDL type floorplates, the GRS Bifrost and Warg are funky but extremely comfortable and functional. They are often overlooked and sort of like high end polymer stock with the features of a chassis while maintaining more stock like weight. The barrel channels are pretty forgiving if I recall as well.

I liked mine, the Bergara B14 is garbage though, otherwise I would have kept it.

EI1XfRtNovCmMMAl4IcgBoYrA0sYVyDQQ732u1zZ071bmtzBchHgUvJ7F1LQOGt9Dm0ZttXBC62kSn33qTSGZ0uT8bO_LKPax3gksbfhhQfZI7lH_oxRE4hCFZFFq1I2OLpzR6OAlQ=w1200
Interesting! I need to give that a looking at. And you are correct, I forgot about the chassis being mag ready.

How do you like the Tract?

Last edited:
Between the marketing the sheer amount of info and products available now is a double edge sword. Just like there being 30 cartridges that'll send any given bullet at 3000fps. For me seeing advertisements for 80gr 22cal bullets is irrelevant, if I want to send an 80gr bullet at 3000fps I'll use a 243. There are a dozen chamberings now that will do it. Same with any given bullet/caliber combo you can imagine.
Growing up there were 308win, 30-06 based cartridges then magnums so you quickly pick a particular bullet decide how hard you wanted to push it. What weight, barrel length, recoil level you deemed acceptable given the game you were planning to chase. I can't fault manufacturers for reinventing the wheel ever few years there's big money in it. Rifles today are more accurate and easier to shoot than ever finding components has been my biggest problem.
I started with a 22lr, cheap practice/varmints/squirrel and rabbit stalking
243 win was perfect for 400yd and closer deer/coyotes/whistle pigs
7rem mag for longer range deer/elk/black bear
Planned for 338win for moose/bear
All bases were covered technically I've got everything I need, not everything I want.
One thing if figured out is everyone's perfect combo is different. Rifles/stocks/barrels/ballistics are all relative anymore. Better bullets have made certain chamberings obsolete, at the same time brought life back to some. Most of the "new improved" chamberings are answers to non existent issues.
First time I bang flopped deer with the 95gr sst from 243win at 350yd my buddy was in awe, he grew up with 30-06 and 165gr bullets. I'd been given **** for years about shooting a "woman's gun", he couldn't believe what he'd just seen. That's what started my obsession, I could pack a shorter handier rifle that kicked less and killed deer just as dead. Another buddy swears by his 300 weatherby for everything I don't remember his load but he too bang flops deer at impressive range, kills elk no problem. Only reloads that caliber and is perfectly happy with that combo I can't fault him in the least. He's also a bigger guy and gun fits him so it doesn't beat him up.
You really do have to try everything you can until you find what fits your specific needs. My 6.5prc doesn't do anything my 7mag won't do ballistic wise, the way I set the rifle up makes all the difference. I can run a lighter, more compact, softer recoiling rifle that's suits deer, black bear and smaller to much further than I plan on hunting.

Last edited:
I have there chassis rifles now. They're for competition. When hunting season rolls around, one of those actions will go back into its custom laminated wood stock.
There is nothing colder and less appealing that an aluminum chassis on a cold morning sit in a stand. Give me a nice wood stock any day.

Guess it's just a personal preference thing. I shoot both trad and chassis but always preferred chassis due to what I feel is superior ergonomics for proper hand placement and ability to set up the chassis to my comfort level. I have risers on my trad stocks too but overall the chassis just puts me in the right position all the time.

For you, don't fight it. Use what feels comfy and natural and don't worry about it.

I have never been able to get a barreled action in a chassis to shoot as well as the same barreled action in a bedded stock or a Foundation stock.

Sure, you see guys with their wallet groups, generally not centered on POA. Session to session? On targets smaller than the car doors they are shooting in PRS/NRL?

Look down the line at national F-class or benchrest events. How many chassis do you see?

The thermal expansion/contraction of long pieces of aluminum dictates an ever changing harmonic. That's in addition to the poor stock/action interface and many other issues. That is not something I want in hunting conditions.

Don't let the popularity fool you.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I have used both styles in competition and hunting for few years. If I didn't shoot PRS I would likely never tried one for hunting. After about 15-20 matches I became conditioned to the chassis, and decided to try the design in a hunting rifle for a few hunts. While I have had hunting success with both designs, I think it all comes down to personal preference. Now having used each design, I find myself preferring a traditional stock for hunting, and the chassis for competition. The flexibility of the chassis is well suited to the fabricated shooting scenarios of PRS. The use of dedicated bags/devises trumps any awkwardness of the design and balance I experience with the chassis. When hunting/LRH positions and scenarios seem more standardized and easily adaptable. The more traditional stock, at least for me, is easier to carry, more familiar, and shoots as well.

Same barreled action with chassis and McMillan A3.
BC2CFE39-E850-4A67-9CC7-39EDC57BB830.jpeg
87979243-27A4-4764-802C-A58D7A6DBBC9.jpeg