Questions for the Chassis Gang

Yeah, my McMillan has adjustable riser. My three Manners do not, but they fit me well.

Maybe I am saying it incorrectly @FrogFire7 , maybe uneasy or unable to settle in would be better. It just feels "thin".
Yeah, I think I know what you mean now. I think I remember feeling that in the beginning as well with one of my chassis. Might depend on the chassis?

I have no problem getting comfortable with chassis or transitioning to and from with my non-chassis rifles. On my next build (just waiting for my barrel to arrive this week), I will be using CA's MPR chassis.

I have no problem getting comfortable with chassis or transitioning to and from with my non-chassis rifles. On my next build (just waiting for my barrel to arrive this week), I will be using CA's MPR chassis.

Nice looking, I think that is the first chassis I have looked at with a relief for the ejection port. Most I have seen just cut below it.

What confuses me on chassis like this is the idea of bringing in AR-15 ergos to a chassis, specifically the grip. When you look at the pistol grip and the machining above it where the web of the thumb would go, it looks like it is meant to be gripped like one would an AR-15, with the thumb wrapped around the bottom to where you would actuate the safety/selector on the left hand side. When shooting a bolt gun, I want my thumb either on top (traditional rifle stock) or on the same side as the rest of my hand for bolt manipulation. I don't know anyone who shoots a bolt gun, and then re-grips the gun like an AR between every shot. I see this chassis, and it begs for a new grip set up or at least a thumb rest.

So my advice is don't try and push through as it will just cause you to waste time and money. Stick with what you like.

First of all, I am a chassis lover, period!

But, if you aren't comfortable or just can't find the comfortable set up, there is absolutely no reason to try to force yourself into something that doesn't fit. Fit and comfort between the stock and your body is imperative to making every shot count whether targets or hunting. Forcing a non-fit only results in a waste of ammunition and time and becomes stressful which is a waste unto itself.

I like and use the Manners stocks, some with the Mini-Chassis and others bedded but the chassis I own and use are usually my first choice.

Enjoy!

:)

What confuses me on chassis like this is the idea of bringing in AR-15 ergos to a chassis, specifically the grip. When you look at the pistol grip and the machining above it where the web of the thumb would go, it looks like it is meant to be gripped like one would an AR-15, with the thumb wrapped around the bottom to where you would actuate the safety/selector on the left hand side. When shooting a bolt gun, I want my thumb either on top (traditional rifle stock) or on the same side as the rest of my hand for bolt manipulation. I don't know anyone who shoots a bolt gun, and then re-grips the gun like an AR between every shot. I see this chassis, and it begs for a new grip set up or at least a thumb rest.
I do not have a problem with what you noted, but I understand what you mean. I already have a grip replacement for it, the same as with my XLR chassis.

.30 LARA 1 of 9.jpg

I do not have a problem with what you noted, but I understand what you mean. I already have a grip replacement for it, the same as with my XLR chassis.

View attachment 381594

I suppose that is one plus for the chassis, if you don't like something you just swap it out for something you do, within certain limitations. You must have different shaped hands than me, because the machining on the XLR reminds me of the McRee which felt like the pistol grip was attached to the bottom of a table. Even if you wanted to grip it like an AR, you immediately ran into the flat portion above it and there is no relief for webbing of your thumb like the MPR has. This is one area that I think MPA does really well, and as ugly as they are, GRS does too.

I had one of those Ergo grips on an AR and immediately took it off because I didn't like how it felt. Now I am wondering if I should have been side gripping it and not wrapping my thumb around it for a proper fit. Oh well, too late now lol.

While we are sharing and for anyone who is debating which chassis to buy, I will throw up the MPA ESR for a comparison. You can see how the grip runs seamlessly into the machining of the chassis to create a nice little thumb ramp. My buddy shooting my rifle for the grip example because I grip it the same way and no one ever takes pictures except me lol. I thought this was a well set up design, especially compared to other companies that offer bolt on thumb ramps which are much more obtrusive.
NIeqTK3CWT_Lv9bnhIykqh5wZZ8WFg5yjhkipszoURs-pUei16FKAxHxw5APQ11cTiZWHpP7LNgZj0v8S22biRP8jykS-LQ3x9Yk4cyBX62nbULMvKWFgbdkNEtYdPZ_7vCcZE619A=w1200

1ivjKKR_uxVTDpLecnQaqPKe1fX6W4UXQDbfRMFR_RfYhBVvQLxCMp-x7SLqsQmsUh6FQYzAshDBszVTH4d6P-9S7EzQ8GcsBgHZrETxVPretVkQv--AUNzoljiI_f2tx_4yx2r3YQ=w1200

While we are sharing and for anyone who is debating which chassis to buy, I will throw up the MPA ESR for a comparison. You can see how the grip runs seamlessly into the machining of the chassis to create a nice little thumb ramp. My buddy shooting my rifle for the grip example because I grip it the same way and no one ever takes pictures except me lol. I thought this was a well set up design, especially compared to other companies that offer bolt on thumb ramps which are much more obtrusive.
NIeqTK3CWT_Lv9bnhIykqh5wZZ8WFg5yjhkipszoURs-pUei16FKAxHxw5APQ11cTiZWHpP7LNgZj0v8S22biRP8jykS-LQ3x9Yk4cyBX62nbULMvKWFgbdkNEtYdPZ_7vCcZE619A=w1200

1ivjKKR_uxVTDpLecnQaqPKe1fX6W4UXQDbfRMFR_RfYhBVvQLxCMp-x7SLqsQmsUh6FQYzAshDBszVTH4d6P-9S7EzQ8GcsBgHZrETxVPretVkQv--AUNzoljiI_f2tx_4yx2r3YQ=w1200
How long before you realized it wasn't for you?

I grew up with traditional stocks on rifles like most folks blued metal and walnut. I have a few rifles still in blued steel and walnut and they're provide a certain feeling when used. They just feel like tradition to me remind be of old times they have a soul if you will. My latest rifle has an aluminum chassis carbon fiber barrel it's slick as can be shoots great and is a perfect foul weather rifle. Lighter than a comparable wood stocked rifle and I don't have to worry about scratches or water hurting it. Same as synthetic stocked shotguns different tools for different jobs, I've got "pretty guns" for nice weather and utilitarian guns for poor weather.
A chassis offers adjustability you cant find in traditional stocks, different tool for a different job. To me that's the advantage over traditional stocks I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other it's just a different tool.
The reason they make 100 different stocks, chassis, models of gun are for folks to figure out what they do/don't like and buy accordingly. I didn't like the chassis style my first time. It was a savage 110ba a buddy owned, rifle weighed about 18lbs was a tac driver easily one of the most accurate I'd shot just too **** heavy for me to use hunting. Being able to adjust it to fit me and shoot it well made me a believer in them. I've tried various rifles in different configurations until I learned what I like/need in a given scenario.
The MPR is perfect for bean fields and reaching way out but light enough to pack when I go out west. 24" barrel is a bit cumbersome in close quarters but it's not intended for that style hunting/shooting I wanted a packable rifle that didn't give up range/accuracy. Had it been built for prs style shooting I'd have gone shorter, heavier contour all steel barrel.
Set up a SIG cross with 18" barrel for dad deer hunting in KY most of our shots are 100yd or less with occasional chances out to 400yd he loves it. We can dial the stock in weather dependent, size of shooter, comb height my nieces/nephews can shoot a rifle that fits them.
Most of us grew up with guns that didn't fit quite right and our experiences could've been better had the option been there. Being able to use the same rifle for the entire family is a really cool option wouldn't be as easy without a chassis.
At the end of the day what fits/feels right is pleasing aesthetically varies from person to person. I've got rifles that are traditional as it gets and a couple "space guns" as my nephew puts it, I too like the looks of chassis, carbon fiber barrel and easy maintenance.
The all carbon fiber super lite stocks and guns are cool no doubt about it. I've never shot one and enjoyed it though, never had one that fit me correctly and the kicked like hell. If I was a sheep/goat hunter I'd build one for that purpose, if I chased heavy dangerous critters I'd have a 338 of some flavor or a 45-70 lever gun it's just not my cup of tea. Same with particular stock designs or ford/Chevy/dodge or bullets they all do basically the same thing just different tools. Personal preference that's what makes it fun keeps it interesting some one constantly try to build a better mousetrap that's where learning and improvement happens. Just like chambering and caliber discussions having only one gun is boring but entirely practical, I don't chase deer with a magnum rifle because here it's not needed, same reason I don't chase elk or moose with a 243 I deer hunt with there's a better tool for that job.

Not the best picture, but this is how I grip mine.

View attachment 381657

You should try it on the right side and not grab it like an AR. Will be faster to work the bolt and also when pressing the trigger it allows for more feeling on just the trigger finger versus a grip with pressure all around.