Question about 270wsm barrel length

pburton

I just picked up a Remington Model 7 in .270 wsm on a trade. It is a great little rifle and shoots pretty good for a factory stock rifle. I have decided that this rifle will be my light weight pack around in the thick stuff rifle and for anything 500 yards and under. This rifle has a 22" barrel which makes me think that I am not getting the full potential out of the wsm. My question is would rebarreling this rifle to a 25-26" barrel give me enough significant advantage in performance to out weigh the weight difference? I was thinking about ordering a #4 Brux and having it cut to 25" finished length. Would this be worth it? or should I just go with it as is? The only other plans for this rifle is bedding the action and working over the trigger. It is a wood stocked CDL model. Thanks in advance for any info.

You may gain about 100 fps by rebarreling, not worth it in my opinion for a 500 yard gun. You should be able to shoot 140s over 3000 fps easily with a 22" barrel and that's plenty of poop for anything you should be shooting with a .270. If it shoots well as-is I'd count my blessings and spend my money on some ammo!

With lighter bullets you won't see as much gain, if you want shoot the heavies like the Matrix 165 gr VLD then a 26 inch with a 1-9 twist really gives you some long range capability.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I am not sure I would be able to run the heavy VLD's through this rifle. Since it is a model 7 I am not sure I would have the length in my magazine to seat them out where they need to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.