Quality of brass: Whose is best ?

hemiford

Which manufacturer makes the thickest brass ?
Who makes the hardest brass ?
Who makes the softest ?

Are these legitimate or fair questions to ask ?

For example, can you anneal soft brass and make it harder,
or is hardness an innate property of the alloy ?

Or, maybe someone manufactures outstanding 50bmg brass
but soft 30-06 brass ?

Lapua
Norma
Remington
Bertram
Hornady
QCC
Nosler
Winchester
Federal
PRVI
Others ?

Metals tend to work harden, and can be annealed to be made softer.

The best I can buy is Lapua.
Norma is good in my book.
Winchester is ok.

Other than that I tend to stay away from Remington, Federal, PPU so I cant really comment on them.

Here's a great little article on the subject. gets into the metallurgy of it a bit. Easy to draw some conclusions from it.

Cartridge Brass Alloys Revealed by X-Ray Spectrometers « Daily Bulletin

As far as the thickest, that is something to be aware of but hard to measure. It is usually determined by case weight and or capacity measure by water weight it holds. I do not know of a definitive list of this across all manufacturers. It is commonly know that some brands tend to the thinner. I know my Winchester 300 WSM brass is thinner and has more case capacity than my Norma brass. This can affect the load somewhat. That is why we all rework loads if we change brass types. This might even happen across different lots of brass from the same brand.

In terms of best overall quality, I don't think anyone makes better brass than Lapua. However, that doesn't always mean that Lapua is the best choice for a given application. It really depends on what your needs are, what your budget is, and what chambering is being discussed.

For instance, in 6.5-284 I have shot Lapua and Norma brass side-by-side. Lapua won, hands down. I wouldn't shoot anything else in this chambering. 6.5-284 is a low volume, max effort chambering where Lapua makes sense.

In 6.5x55, Lapua brass is dimensionally correct and reasonably priced. Here again, I wouldn't consider anything else. However, I am not set up to anneal and I am losing cases to split necks after just a few reloads. The people who say Lapua pays for itself in brass life vs less expensive brass are full of beans, IME.

In .223/5.56, I use LC exclusively, whether I am loading blasting ammo for my AR or match ammo for my bolt gun. It is inexpensive, has the most internal capacity, lasts for many loadings, and is capable of producing very accurate ammo with minimal prep. With its lower internal capacity and higher cost, I can only see Lapua being worthwhile in this chambering under very specialized circumstances.

In .308, my "go to" brass is Winchester. It is identical in internal capacity to LC brass and is a step up in quality vs LC, even though current production Winchester seems to be of lower quality than it was a few years ago. I am on my 8th reload with the current group of 100 cases that I have been using for load development and F-T/R matches, without annealing, and have yet to lose a case (except for one case that was bad right out of the bag).

I have recently begun work with Prvi .308 brass and it shows promise. It appears to be of higher quality than Winchester, has slightly greater internal capacity, and is less expensive. I also use 30-06 Prvi in my Garand. It is good quality, reasonably priced, and tough enough for semi-auto use. Other than military brass, I don't use anything else in my Garand.

These are just a few examples to illustrate my point. For a lot of standard chamberings, my first choice is Winchester, especially in higher volume applications. For my belted magnums, I reach for Norma or Nosler Custom and have been very happy with the results. In some applications, Lapua is the obvious choice.

Who makes the best brass? In practical terms, the answer depends on the chambering and what you are doing with it.

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests « Daily Bulletin

Below the thickness of the flash hole adds strength to the base of the case and longer primer pocket life. Federal is known for soft brass but its the thickness of the flash hole web that causes its shorter case life.

federal_zpsbp4r0zok.jpg

I feel the best buy is Lapua. It is very consistent, and durable and for the price compared to its life
it is a good deal.

Norma would be my next choice except for the price.

I use a lot of Remington and have had good luck with it. when I weight sort it I normally have very few rejects (I normally end up with 3 or 4 lots within 1 grain.

Prvi has been good in some cartridges and appears to be good brass for the price.

I have also had very good luck with some years of Lake city (Military) brass.

I find little difference in the other brands and find that they range from very hard to very soft and end up with many different lots when weight sorted and average 8 to 10 rejects in a 100 round batch.

Just my experience with different brands.

J E CUSTOM

No one has mentioned Nosler brass yet? It seems to be pretty high quality in my limited experience. Although I haven't compared it to other high quality brass. it seems to be easier to find than Lapua, or most others.

No one has mentioned Nosler brass yet? It seems to be pretty high quality in my limited experience. Although I haven't compared it to other high quality brass. it seems to be easier to find than Lapua, or most others.
It is Norma with Nosler head stamp. Norma makes it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.