• Federal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Winchester

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've had terrible luck with Hornady brass, but have recently bought some to try again for the 17 Hornet. There aren't really other options for it (outside of buying factory ammo and saving brass)! I'm hoping it doesn't go south like it has before.

Hornady is crap. Federal a tad less crappy.

Lapua, Nosler, Norma, Peterson all good. ADG good but I can never find it.

Starline ok, but never stellar and seems soft to me.

Lake city LR great for semi's like the M1a where you need that durability toughness.

Last edited:
ADG should be on this list. I won't cast votes until it is. It will be at the top of the list for my vote.
I agree adg and Peterson should be on there I think they are very close to lapua if not equal. They might have some cartridges lapua doesn't and lapua might have some they don't. So now you have choices of quality brass. I like seeing more then one company of quality brass.

Not necessarily, but you can't run it at max either.
It has the largest capacity of all brass made, and most loads won't be at max in it anyway, all I'm saying is don't try to match the velocity you get in other brass brands. Norma brass has unusually thin webs, all of it's belted mag brass have the belt above the web, this is unheard of in all other brands of brass.
I went through 200 pieces in a season on one barrel and the cases were toast, pockets were so loose that new primers would fall out while the cases sat in the loading block. They had only been fired 5 times, that's a whole lotta money down the toilet for me, Norma brass here runs at over $2AUD each, and the bigger the case the more it costs.
Anyway, it's very good brass within it's limits.

Cheers.
That's great help and info, I split a box of a hundred with a friend and I'm planning on loading some up soon and I'll keep a close eye on them and look for a lower node. This gun is solely a hunting rifle so hopefully after the intial firing the 1x brass will be my hunting loads.

For bulk stuff I buy starline for precision Peterson, Lapua and ADG. I haven't tried alpha brass I guess I better give it a whirl

You guys that have ADG are very lucky, everytime in the past 2 years when I have ordered it, I have been told it's not available to ship internationally.
I can order Peterson brass here…..at 2 times the CONVERSION RATE cost from AUD to USD plus tax and shipping.
That is just extortion.
We really get the rough end of the stick here…everyone in retail here tacks their own Australia Tax on and we all just accept it blindly.

Cheers.

As far as Hornady goes...I bought 3 boxes of loaded ammo to start with when I got my 338LM. I reloaded those cases upwards of 15x times. No problems whatsoever. I just retired the brass and went with some Lapua I snagged on sale. Why? I really don't have any reason! And, I might add I haven't noticed any difference in quality in any way between the two.

For bulk stuff I buy starline for precision Peterson, Lapua and ADG. I haven't tried alpha brass I guess I better give it a whirl
Alpha is great brass. There's only one cartridge that they offer that I use their brass for. 22 Creedmoor