• Federal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Winchester

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Same charge weight fired in lower capacity brass results in higher pressure and velocity.

John
Yep, that's exactly what I said. If go back through the thread I already documented that Hornady Brass weighs less and has less volume than Lapua brass by measurement. There may be some difference in alloys, I don't fully understand the reason it is so, but by measurement, I have found Hornady weighs less, and has less volume by than Lapua. Lapua measures 116.1 case volume H20 by grains and Hornady measures just 107.5 case volume by grains H2O. So, Hornady Brass will have higher pressure and velocities for the same charge weight. Exactly what I said. So, unless the lot to lot variance is huge, I would not understand how Hornady reloads at the same charge weight would have lower velocity than with Lapua brass. But, get some Lapua brass, get some Hornady brass, all once fired, and trimmed to Saami spec, and weigh it dry, weigh it filled with H2O, see what the weight and capacity differences are, and then go fire it and chronograph the velocities. Do this for yourself, and just see.

Here's where I documented my own experience and measurements. I'm sorry it was not this same thread but a very similar one
in a parallel universe.

I'm up to 15 + loads in 308 using federal brass, maybe helped by the fact that I only necksize as my rifle is a ruger #1.
I also have a ruger #3 in 223 and remington brass is absolute sh1t, far too soft. I use PPU and GGG brass for the 223 and neck resize only. I think GGG is military brass as it doesn't hold as much powder as the PPU but the GGG is consistent but the primers flatten at about 0.5 grn under the DNE maximum with barnes varmint grenades probably because the powder is almost 1/2 way up the neck of the case and needs crunching down (I use cfe 223 btw for 308 and 223).
PPU is consistent, extreme spread is about 20 fps as opposed to 12 fps with GGG.
I've not voted in your poll as I have never tried any other brass, but for my money PPU for the 223 and Federal or PPU for the 308.
Just a heads up, don't know if it applies in the US, in Europe many of the ammo manufacturers apply for ISO approval for quality management (ISO 9001) which, if they succeed in obtaining it, gives a virtual guarantee of the quality and consistency of the products they sell.
PPU, GGG and S&B are all ISO 9001 certificated.
Whilst no certification can be 100% having the ISO 9001 accreditation on the brand is a major plus.
As I've beaten the drum about ISO 9001 based on my experience in obtaining certification, I think it's only fair to warn you of those regimes where the power of the state outweighs the power of the individual or private company. I would consider their certification, of whatever type, adequate for tearing into strips and hanging in the outhouse, unless it's too shiny.

In my weight and volume tests vs. Lapua, I have been favorably impressed with the PPU brass. I didn't have much of it so I don't use it, but it seems on the measurements I made, it compares well to Lapua. Seems sturdy and well made. Just a little less volume.
It actually weighs a little more than my Lapua Brass. So, it makes sense that it has a little less volume and seems well made.